Old lenses with adapter in new camera body

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Once in awhile, I read from here, flickr or some other sites mentioned about how good the old lenses were. They build like a tank and have excellent optical performance. And of course, they are usually not too expensive.

After I did some searching on the subject, it seems like (I could be wrong because I really do not know too much about the older lens) the screw mount M42 was quite popular since I found a lot of brands made lens with that mount.

Since I have a Canon body, so I found there are M42 adapters out there for EOS cameras. Of course, I believe I need to manual focus the lens with the adapter. But someone mentioned there are M42 to EOS adapters that allow Focus Confirmation.

Is anyone here try a M42 mount lens on a Canon body with the adapter? Do you like it? Anyone know a site that has a lot of information regarding those adapters?

I am interested in finding a good old macro lens with a adapter now. Or maybe a good fast prime lens.

Beside the M42 mount, any other one I should also look at?

I understand that a lot of newer lenses are technically better in terms of auto focusing. However, in some situations, I really do not mind using manual focus if I can get the same end result and save some money. Especially for the macro prime lens or a REAL FAST prime.

Prime lens wise, currently, I have a EF 50mm F/1.8 mk1, Tamrom 14mm F/2.8 and a EF 85mm F/1.8 USM <- just ordered it couple days ago. And I would like to have a 100mm or 135mm fast macro lens and in the future, maybe a 200mm or 300mm fast telephoto lens.

Or, I should just forget about the old lenses out there. :)

I don't know about the M42 mount. But I had no issues using Nikon lenses on my Canon 20D using an adapter. I actually did not do this too often, as I bought Canon lenses soon after. Obviously no A/F but I do believe I got focus confirmation and metering. Can't really remember now. Have to put one on and see.

I have gone down this road . The M42 stuff works OK but not up to par with todays IQ.

Forget the FD glass on a EOS body except for macro, Its ok for macro work with a no glass adaptor. I even tryed a very expensive Elefoto adaptor that was suposed to be as good as the rare canon one. The IQ was ok but not the quality you get with a film body.

I have EOS to m42 and EOS to FD adaptors and lots of FD Glass
Pm me if you want it.

For Macro the adaptors rock with good ole glass and the adaptor with no glass acts as an extension ring.

Dan

I have a M42 to canon eos, and so far has worked quite well. I haven't used it a whole lot yet. I have a few lenses, and they all work, but you have to stop down manually(there is a switch on most lenses) and the meter works but it meters a bit off, but its consistent. Also for macro, I bought a M42 mount Mamiya bellows for about $30, and the thing looks brand new.

I found my M42 adapter on ebay for $7 shipped, Its not the af confirm model. I also bought some cheap lenses on ebay. The bellows and other lenses I got from KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. There stock constantly comes and goes, but there are often very cheap bellows and a huge selection of lenses everything from 17mm fisheyes to 500mm f/4.5. The quality from keh is always far superior than you expect and there customer service is top notch. They send you constant email updates; order confirmation, shiping confirmations, and tracking numbers.

Here are a couple of random test shots from M42 lenses on a canon 20D, no real planning or intention with these, other than to test the gear.

Shot with a some off brand Japanese 135mm 2.8
IMG_4431.jpg

shot with the mamiya bellows and a Takumar 50mm f/2, and a couple of vivitar 285 flashes.
IMG_4450.jpg

Before anyone points it out, yes these don't look quite a sharp as they should; some of that is because of the crappy web jpgs, and not all the lenses. The cat was a bit soft, but it is a no-name lens and was shot wide open @ 2.8, however I find the results from this lens pretty good, although requiring a bit more sharpening than other lenses I own. Also on the second picture, the DOF is a bit too shallow; because of the angle of the lens to subject, only the very center is in focus, so I should have stopped down or changed the angle.

Can you tell what common object is in the second picture?

....I really do not mind using manual focus if I can get the same end result and save some money. Especially for the macro prime lens or a REAL FAST prime. ...

The old Pentax (nee Asahi) Takumar lenses can be rather good. The standard 50mm lenses, the macros, and a few others are quite good even by today's standards. You will not find any "REAL FAST prime" lenses other than the 50's and 85mm lenses that compare well today.

benhasajeep, DeadEye, RyanLilly, Dwing, thank you so much for your information. And Thanks Jerry for bumping this thread. :)

DeadEye, I did more research on the FD to EOS adapter. And I think I may just skip that route based on what I read. Looks like it need a lens on the adapter because the flange-to-focal-plane distances FD lens is shorter than EOS. But thank you for the information beacause that help me to find some more information I want.

RyanLily, thanks for spend your time to write and show me couple examples. I will go check out the Keh and ebay. Hope you don't mind if you have additional questions in the future.

Dwig, since you and RyanLily memtioned about the Takumar, I will go take a look at those lenses. Thanks

Oh btw, most m42 lenses on keh are listed under- 35mm pentax screwmount> fixed focal lenght, using the drop down menues in advanced search. Kind of slim pickings on there right now, but there are several 100mm macros listed. If my memory serves the 100mm is a 1:2 macro and the 50mm macro is a full 1:1.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back