Old Nikkor lens on a new DSLR?

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was given an old Nikkor 55mm/1.2.
Can I just put it on a D90 or do I need to do anything special?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question :blushing:

To be completely honest I am not really sure but I have been looking into purchasing a new lens and it seems that some of the lenses used on film cameras will work on the dslr's and I had asked someone a while back and I recall them telling me that as long as the electrical mounts are the same and they haven't changed their mounting system it should work. So in other words if you had a fancy Nikon that shot film and you wanted to use your lens on the new nikon DSLR then as long as the mounting was the same you would be fine... Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to know the answer to this too : )

What lens is it. Post pics. Some of the older lenses will mount but will damage the camera.

There are actually 3 lenses, I hope at least one is workable :)

LENS#1
4274848242_94551cdc6c_b.jpg

4274883672_455fb43469_b.jpg

LENS #2
4274848252_bdc9dee6c0_b.jpg

4274883682_ed19f91fb1_b.jpg

LENS #3
4274848254_f3aaf0fccd_b.jpg

Last edited:
It seems as though the last lens, the 24mm f/2, should fit onto your D90. However, you will only be able to use Manual mode on your camera, and you'll only be able to use manual focus (however, the focus conformation dot in your viewfinder will still work).

As for the others, I'm afraid I have no idea. Take the rear lens cap off and look carefully at the mounts. If they look similar to the 24mm f/2, they should work. If you're unsure, just slowly and gently screw it onto the camera, if it seems to slide and click into place nicely, odds are that it'll be fine, although you'll have the same limitations as to focusing and exposure metering.

Nikon lenses basically all work on modern cameras from the 1950's onwards, using the "F" mount.

Here is some reading for ya:

Nikon 24mm f/2

Hmmmm. Ken says not to bother...but technically it will work, right?

I just don't want to damage my camera in any way.

Thanks you all for the help and the links. I tried Googling combinations of the lenses and D90 and could not find any great info...

55m f/1.2: This sample is a pre-AI version. It has been AI converted by a machinist. The conversion is not a factory conversion and may or may not work on modern bodies. It might pass muster as an "AI Converted" lens and might have to be considered a pre-AI lens. There may also be special exceptions for certain ranges of serial numbers on this lens. Check Nikon's own charts for any serial number exclusions.

45mm f/2.8 GN: This is a pre-AI version (they all are) that has a proper factory AI conversion. It should mount and work, to a degree, on all modern Nikon bodies as per the Conversion Chart's "AI Converted" column

24mm f/2.0: This is an AI-s lens and was born as such. It should mount and work, to a degree, on all modern Nikon bodies as per the Conversion Chart's "AI, AI-s" column.

55m f/1.2: This sample is a pre-AI version. It has been AI converted by a machinist. The conversion is not a factory conversion and may or may not work on modern bodies.

45mm f/2.8 GN: This is a pre-AI version (they all are) that has a proper factory AI conversion.

Thank you so much for the explanation.
One ignorant question though:
How can you tell what type of conversion was done?

Most reactions

Back