Oleanders

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm getting a better idea about lighting. I took this in the early evening and I like it much better than my last post (Orange Flower).
Ideally, there wouldn't be such a lot of flowers in the background. Also, I see I should have left more space at the top.

IMG_5670-2.jpg

for having so many flowers the composition isn't bad. if you wanted to take the same scene and improve it, in an ideal world, pick some of the flowers.

what you make this scene better would be more contrast. take the same flowers under more sunlight so you have shadows on the pedals. it's really flat in the current lighting.

if you wanted to use the evening lighting so you had more control, perhaps try artifically lighting it from different angles.

They seem very soft and a little underexposed. There's some blue CA at the top of the frame which could be dealt with.

I would say this could be vastly improved with some more light and a re-shoot.

for having so many flowers the composition isn't bad. if you wanted to take the same scene and improve it, in an ideal world, pick some of the flowers.

what you make this scene better would be more contrast. take the same flowers under more sunlight so you have shadows on the pedals. it's really flat in the current lighting.

if you wanted to use the evening lighting so you had more control, perhaps try artifically lighting it from different angles.

Thanks for the time you took. As or it being flat, I wish I could see what you mean but I guess I don't have enough experience. So what exactly does that mean?
Plus, I was told never to shoot in direct sunlight...

They seem very soft and a little underexposed. There's some blue CA at the top of the frame which could be dealt with.

I would say this could be vastly improved with some more light and a re-shoot.

What is blue CA and how would I deal with it? :)

CA is chromatic aberration. You could fix it by masking it off and moving the blue channel toward purple. Or just crop half an inch off the top.

Wow, I have some research to do. Thanks for the comment!

Well, this photo does show the restrictions your little camera is giving you, but I myself appreciate how well you're taking in everyone's advice. And you try this and that and that, sunlight, shade. How about backlight? I think you tried that, too, right? But it might take your camera even more towards its limitations. However, you should never stop trying!

Well, this photo does show the restrictions your little camera is giving you, but I myself appreciate how well you're taking in everyone's advice. And you try this and that and that, sunlight, shade. How about backlight? I think you tried that, too, right? But it might take your camera even more towards its limitations. However, you should never stop trying!

Cornina, you're always so kind :)

I don't remember trying backlight - or maybe I dod and didn't know I was doing it :) Was that the morning glory pic maybe?

In what way would backlight take my camera to its limitations?

Last edited:
The background COULD become too glaring, that could be the problem you might be facing, and the glare might layer itself over your subject, depending on how much background light your letting into your composition. But you might find a backlit flower and a wall in the shadow behind it (maybe even a nicely far way behind it). That might look good and make the flower shine brilliantly!

there's nothing particularly wrong about taking a photo in any light. my favorite photos have some degree of direct light or extreme light. it adds character. there's a ton of photos posted here with lens flare that makes the photo

by flat I mean there's no detail added by the light

DSX_4615 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

this bush is super boring by itself. it's red pedals. add some light and shadow and it gains interest. does it becomes particularly special subject just because I added light and shadows? not really. with my f-stop I added in the depth of field too. it's still nothing particularly special that I would print but it's heading in the right direction. I'm at the point that a different viewpoint would take it the next step, my lighting and exposure isn't the limit.

there's way too many pretty flower photos to not work at it more. good lighting, angles and composition make a flower photo. the best ones these days have something that takes them a step above good. finding what that is takes work

back lit wouldn't take your camera towards it's limitations in any manner. it's just light, your camera can handle it.

here's a back lit leaves/flower photo I took at macro
Leaf and Pedals on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

here's a leaf back lit at macro
DSX_8210 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

both just took getting the right exposure.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I looked ant the pictures, and I'm beginning to see what you mean. Phew, light is a complicated subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back