Olympus OM-D E-M5

slah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As the proud owner of a Canon Powershot a710 IS I have to decided to upgrade to a new camera, and have my eyes set on a Olympus OM-D E-M5.

However as you can see from my current camera I´m not exactly experienced and so I need some help choosing what bundle to get!

I´m choosing between cameras with:
  1. 14-42mm F3.5-5.6R II + 40-150mm F4-5.6R at 869 euro,
  2. 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ + 40-150mm F4-5.6R at 936 euro or
  3. 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 at 775 euro

What bundle would you suggest/recommend?

Please keep in mind that I have to convince my wife as well, so I need you explanations it in laymans terms if possible :)

Last edited:
Is this a starting point for a real hobby or is this a one purchase for a lifetime of shooting snapshots?

The problem is that neither of the shorter focal length zooms will give you the speed to shoot indoors.

If I were you I would start with an Olympus body OMD and the Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 lens, very fast, very sharp, small. (or its equivalent). There is nothing like this lind of a lens for shooting around.

If you are just going to snapshot your entire life, you might think of a less complex, smaller body with newer sensor and processor and about the same price - the Oly e-m10
[h=1][/h]

Of those lenses, I'd recommend the 12-50. It's far superior glass to the 14-42s. On the regular ED glass, I'm thinking Oly didn't try too hard-they're kinda soft above f4 for some reason, but as wide open lenses, they're not half bad. As Lew said, they're not fast, but from what I remember of M4/3 glass (I had a 4/3 SLR) it seems that fast glass isn't really that readily available. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the replys!
...and sorry about the late reply :)

I´m not sure what the ultimate goal with the camera is to be honest.. - except that after I have started looking at a new one my fingers have been itching to do more than just "point and click"!

I also know that I would HATE to find out that I really like fiddling with cameras, and then finding out that I have pigeonholed myself with a poor choice if i get really enthusiastic about this.

I´ve been looking at mirrorless due to their smaller sizes (this has to function as a point and click camera as well), and the bigger DSLRs just seems to big for lugging around on holidays and casual trips?

Option 3.
Why?
Cheapest. The 12-50 is in my opinion better than it gets credit for, covers a good range, has a macro mode which is not full macro but not to shabby and is weatherproof with that camera.

If you decide to take it up more serious there are some lovely m4/3 prime lenses to get in the future

Most reactions

New Topics

Back