OM Users...I Gotta Know...

Michael Humle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Being new to the forum, I would like to know how many of you out there own an Olympus E-300 or E-500? Why did you buy it and what do you like to shoot with it? This will help fot future Q&A...Thanks!

I have an OM 2 system. It was my uncle's. He gave it to me about 10 years ago. Works great and it is incredibly small compared to an F series Nikon. Excellent optics. I really love the 21mm lens. Sigh! it is a 35mm camera, though, and not a digital.

I'm not familiar with the models you ask about but I can tell you Olympus has been making great cameras for a long time so I sure wouldn't worry about buying one. I'm willing to bet they still make great cameras.

Before I went digital I owned the OM1, OM1n, OM2n, OM4T and about 9 different Zuiko lenses with three T32 flashes and my old favorite, a Vivitar 253.
I have been a Olympus user for about 25 years! If you ever decide to go digital, you have to check out what Olympus has accomlished with thier digital cameras, WOW! Anyway, thanks for answering my question. I don't feel so alone now.

Er... well I have some point-&-shoots :D
Seriously though, they are great point and shooters - the XA2 and the Stylus Epic. I know the XA has a better lens and more exposure control, but the XA2 is just perfect, especially the shutter release; camera shake is almost never a problem even at slower shutter speeds. I had an OM10 at one point, I didn't like the lack of shutter speed control and at the time I couldnt afford one of the better bodies so it was exchanged (for an APS camera of all things) but it and the p&s models did at least show me the quality of Olympus' engineering, ergonomics... and of course Zuiko glass; you don't seem to hear much about Olympus glass these days but they really knew (and presumably still do) how to make a lens.

I did consider an Olympus DSLR; what put me off the E system was the lack of ISO 3200 and comparatively high noise at higher ISOs (I do quite a lot of low available light stuff); if that wasn't an issue for me then they have a lot to offer... the dust reduction, the ergonomics, framing with an LCD on an SLR (!)... I expect they will only get better.

Oh, and judging by the prices on Ebay, it seems that now might be a very good time to get some OM gear.

I rarly shoot in low light. My main source of light for my images is flash, so the E system was perfet for me. You are right about the pricing. Many people seem to dismiss Olympus equipment, and Olympus has become very competitive. It's too bad Oly has been mostly ignored. One thing I am sure of is, if you are looking for comparable quality and performance at the absolute lowest prices, you just can't beat the Olympus! Thanks for getting back to me. Now there are three of us!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back