One for C&C

Eldrich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this while I was supposed to be checking the place out for a possible wedding site. I'm not sure if I like the border, but I've been trying to add borders lately and seeing how they turn out.

Cotton2.JPG

the image is washed out on the bottom taking away from the detail (what are those things called anyway) But abouve that its pretty sharp and has a good DOF

I have no idea what it's called. I also really liked how it was sharp in the middle, and I see what you mean that the blown out region in the bottom takes away from the form. It was a hard subject, very light, and also very thin (so it blew around in the wind a lot) and there was snow in the background on a bright day!

heh, looks like we had a little C&C tag team going on each others pics. I just re-looked at my photos of this thing (I had a few) and they all have some blown out region, some in the middle of the subject...I guess I never managed to get it just right.

its hard to take shots when there is snow in the background

Here it is in B and W. I tried beefing up the contrast, but even at 100, its not all that interesting because the scene is so bright all around, so I left it relatively in the middle to keep the detail. Let me know what you think.

CottonBW.jpg

I prefer the colour version to the black and white. I like the overall softness of this photo (not with regards to the FOCUS), plus the fact that (here it comes!) that the focus is perfectly on the middle of this SOFT (!) plant, whatever it is (I don't know, either).

It seems like the detail in the centre of the "flowers" (are they flowers?) comes out better in the colour version, than it does in the B&W. And the brown of the tiny stems is repeated in the soft, mild, washed-out brown of the background (top), which I like to see. While the whites of those "flowers" seem to merge with the white of the snow in the bottom part of the photo, those fluffy things stay visible, which is ok. They vanish into blurriness there, anyway.

The frame works. Not too big. Adds a bit of contrast and clearly gives an ending to the bright, soft, kind of flowing photo.

Well done, border and everything! It's nice enough to get a 16X20 made from it to frame and hang on your wall, IMHO. The colored one, not the b&w.

Thanks for the compliments! I like the color version better too I think. I haven't really gotten into printing much. I hadn't thought about it, but I'll consider it. It could be a way to enjoy photography more.

this shot is amazing in my opinion! love the color one

Yeah, I like the color one. When I first saw it I thought "wow, that's cool". So, hot spot and all, it's a good pic.

You have to do an exposure comp in camera when shooting in snow. Otherwise the snow blows things out and/or turns gray on you.

You may have gotten somewhere with a fill flash. Don't know. It's one of those shots I would spend a lot of time on playing with settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back