One man's art is another man's WTF????

There was not 'an artist', It was done by a design team of at least two people. Their description of it was different than what was mentioned about refugees, etc. - that I think came from the nonprofit that sponsored the installation. They put out a call to artists so probably selected what they thought best represented their theme for the exhibit.

I've done submissions, my description of any photo I submit is different than the theme for the entire exhibit. That may be much more broad or have a different vision for the whole show than what I would describe for just my one picture.

I didn't see any mention of Nat'l. Endowment funding related to this. Not that there wasn't any, I don't know. Seems like they fund thru grants for specific projects. I saw one mention of a 'partnership' with a Mass. Cultural Council but it didn't specify what; the NEA chair went to Boston this summer to visit programs that had received grants but nothing related to this. There was mention of Fort Point grants but that seemed local, and there was a Boston city grant for artists in residence to partner with various depts. I'm sure there's lots more for a major city, I just didn't find an NEA grant mentioned for this project.

I suppose not all art is everyone's cup of tea, and people aren't all going to like everything that uses tax dollars. I think this installation is pretty cool and kind of freaky, but I like it. I like modern art, some people don't, which is fine; some people are going to like MFA Boston better than MOMA. Or maybe both, I can appreciate art even if it isn't my favorite style.

[QUOTE="SquarePeg,

Is your participation some type of court ordered community service?[/QUOTE]

Sort of, more of a penance really. Self flagellation I guess. I was dumb enough to join and couldn't even get admin to boot my sorry arse off.
Sh!t. Wait! somebody spoke to me. Can't we do an impromptu tribal council and vote me off the island?
Please don't make me strangle myself with this silly idol thing I found.

I think it's very cool and my first reaction was that Blue Man Group had dropped acid and gone for a swim.

Taveuni - reported it for you so one of the mods can assist you with closing out your account if that's what you'd like to do.

Sure, thanks, they should shut me down, I just don't think they know how.
I'll give them 24 hours then I'll just start being a grammar/common sense Nazi and see how long I last.
Sorry for derailing the thread (even though it wasn't really me).

The question really is what have any of us done regarding the plight of the millions of people who are fleeing their homes since seeing this exhibit?

Shameful, isn't it?

They look real enough for me to affect me emotionally, which meant art is shaping reality. It made strangers talk to you, It made you take the picture, it made me and others write comments.

Yet: Did I think of refugees? No.

The invoked image is clearly "Guantanamo in the wet" ... Head fart art?

Most reactions

Back