One thing I had to learn by experience (newbies, listen up!)

This has happened to me before. Some photos that I cropped on the computer got cut off even more after printing and some that I didn't crop got cut off after printing. I had no idea what happened and haven't printed since, so I should widen the view when taking the picture and crop on computer? Even if I crop it on the computer how do I know what print size to get? Is there anywhere I can read up more on this?
You have to note the different ratio's there are. Most dslr shoot a 2:3 ratio, while alot of P&S have a 3:4. When you are cropping on the computer, you will have to crop at the ratio that you're gonna print. If you dont do that, the printerplace will crop it..........and thats not what you want most of the time.
I had the same problem, until i found out about the different ratio's. I also mentioned it to the bussiness i usually print my stuff at and now they have the ratio's next to the sizes of the prints.
Hope this helps.

Learning to cut a matte is a simple matter. The skill is easy to master.

Interesting, I hadn't considered this.

Anyone have a link to a decent cutting kit? Or to an instructional site?

By the way, what the freak is it: mat, matt or matte??? :lol:

Jon

Jon,

I believe that the strictly correct term (as in, it's used by most stores) is: the object is a 'mat', the process of making and mounting a photo in a mat is 'matting'. But 'matte' is very common, probably due to confusion with the photo finish (compared to glossy, that is).

Yes, 'mat' seems to be correct.

Found a nice site: matshop.com

Using their 'mat-o-matic' feature, you can upload your photo and place it within the mat of your choosing. You can pick the style, color and size of the mat, as well as the type/color of frame and even the color of the wall behind it.

Minimum order of five (identical) mats, though.

Jon

I agree that you must keep your final output in mind, ie; family portraits, wedding, etc., to make it easier for the client.

BUT, for my stuff, like my fine-art stuff, I shoot to my crop, and custom mat/frame all of my own work for sale and gallery shows. The nicer mat cutters are very simple to master, and when you buy in bulk, you save a good amount of money. I buy my frames from FrameFit.com...your best source for custom picture frames. I have a local Amishman cut my glass for super cheap, and I support my local art store by buying acid-free mat in bulk - about $7/30"X40" sheet.

It's way more gratifying framing your own work and keeping that nice wide aspect-ratio common to DSLRs.

Cropping a photo for a particular format isn't anything new

Ummm...it's new if you've never known to do it before. :D

Jon

This is one of those questions we all run into sooner or later. In my classes it always comes up, usually because somebody has taken files to the drugstore to print and people's heads got chopped off.

So I constructed this little tutorial - aimed at novices to be sure ... but it might be helpful.

8x10 Prints - the problem child for digital photographers

Hope it's helpful.

Dang, Jim...you totally summed it up in your article.

And the title:

Printing an 8x10 From A Digital File AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Says it all.

Jon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back