Opening RAW

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how i can open RAW images on my 20d?

CS2 doesnt seem to recognise my camera so i cant access it.

Ive tried the software that comes with the camera called "Digital Photo Professional" and that can see the camera either.

Anyone know whats up?

ON CS2 go to Adobe and download the RAW support file thingie I think. Lots of people will know more than I do.

There are other ways to process RAW though: Picasa2 is a great starter programme , but RawShooter Essential 2005 is what most people here would recommend you to use when processing RAW files. Google around to get it. Both programmes are free BTW.

If your computer (and your programs) can't see your camera then it sounds like you haven't got the drivers installed.
You should have got them with the camera - if not then go to the maker's website and they should be downloadable from there.

(That simple enough, amoki? :lol: )

Hertz van Rental said:
If your computer (and your programs) can't see your camera then it sounds like you haven't got the drivers installed.
You should have got them with the camera - if not then go to the maker's website and they should be downloadable from there.

(That simple enough, amoki? :lol: )

Damn you! Next time I'll make sure they sent you to Siberia instead of Vladivostok! (Wait.... Isn't both places bloody cold? Never mind :lmao: )

(This guy is not a n00b, so he should be fine if you unleash the power of the 3000-words essay on him :p )

thanks everyone for your help.

The computer recognises the camera, I can drag and transfer files from the camera to my pc fine, but they become jpegs. My understanding with RAW is the you access the camera directly from an application and edited them from there?

I downloaded the latest CS2 pluggin but dont know how it works. Do i go to File/import, or is it a different way?

thanks

a lot of cameras, the more consumery ones (oh woops Edit: 20D sorry, not so consumery but the following should still be applicable..), will save the raw file/digital neg whatever, on the camera WITH a jpeg preview type file. i had that same problem with CS2, you need to install the raw files/drivers from the adobe site, after checking whether your camera's raw is compatible.. there's a list on adobe.com somewhere. and then you have to open it up from within photoshop... i would suggest copying to your HD first though because it's faster to work with if it's off your slow camera and onto your hard drive (which hopefully is faster).
good luck

i downloaded the latest pluggin and PS can now access the camera if i got to file/import/eos 20d. Is that the right way to edit your raw images?

Its still not letting me drag them to the HD without them converting to jpegs in the process

Thanks

Personally I just use a card reader, download the whole folder; then open the RAW images I want one at a time by dropping them on the PS icon (Mac). I'm not doing heavy batch converting mind you so others may balk at my method.

I'm using a 20D as well so I preview my picks by checking the JPEG first then opening the RAW file using Adobe RAW.
Just FYI Pixmantec Raw Shooter Essentials is not available for Mac.

You can always delete the JPEGS

hwne you plug in your camera you hsould get a little window that says something like:

Download all pictures

Select Pictures for Downloading

and has prefernces tabs etc.

download all or select the ones you want then let it download it shouldn't convert to jpeg. If it does look in preferences or w/e there might be something you need to untick in their.

Daniel said:
Download the RAW plug in form adobe and it will work.

hey i just saw that your sig says 350 D.. is that a recommendation then?!
;) been looking at that camera for ages however am still not so sure about a few things:

how long (in seconds) does it take to save a RAW images once you have taken it, on the camera i mean?

when i import the images from the 350 D into photoshop what dpi/ resolution will they have?

How many images per seocond (in Raw or JPEG, pref RAW)?

im sure i have plenty more questions but it would be appreciated if someone that knows could share this with me..:hail:

Most reactions

Back