Opinions on these?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still an amature but trying to improve myself so would love to have any opinions both positive and constructive on these photos I just took/edited.

Was taken with a canon D1100, with yongnuo 50mm 1.8 lens at 1/100sec, F3.2. Lighting was a 90cm softbox as main light with another flash bouncing off a white wall for fill. Edited in Lightroom.

Thanks for any opinions! :)
FB_IMG_7288.jpg

FB_IMG_7249.jpg

FB_IMG_7251.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, the first time I uploaded wasn't the best, tiny thumbnail went straight to a huge image that was hard to see. Anyway I realize now the first one is not very sharp... Trying to work out why that is, in fact a lot of my images are not very sharp but apart from that any opinions are much appreciated.

Your lighting split looks good, but the position of your key light is too low, IMO.

Hmm... I think I had the key light (90x60 vertical softbox) pretty level with the camera, maybe slightly above. Do you think I should go higher? I tried higher set ups in the past but felt it looked better at this hight, not really sure what made them better but felt an even light just worked better. The photos were for resume/linkedin type stuff btw so I wanted a relatively flat light.

Yes, higher.

The low light position is putting more light onto the subject's arms/torso. I would prefer more light on the face/head instead.

Also, people are used to seeing light coming from a higher position (i.e.: the sun). While light coming from a low position can set a certain mood or whatever, light that occurs naturally in that low position is light from sunrises and sunsets, so is completely different from your white studio light.

IMO
What they said ^ about key light being too low.
Note that in #2 and #3 the skin at arrow is so bright as to lose all color and texture
Pose in #3 is really unflattering, clothes are wrinkled, she looks bulky, her shoulders and hips are straight on to camera and her hair is disheveled.

triad.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back