Optical Trigger question

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On this forum I recently learned abit about optical triggers. I currently have a 2 piece receiver/transmitter set. I want to add a 3rd flash. Can I can any cheapo flash that is compatible with my camera, throw an optical trigger on, and my transmitter will pick it up? Just wondering if that is how that works. I was told that I would have to buy another receiver/transmitter set to another flash, get a controller, or get a flash that has a built in receiver that is compatible with my exact receiver/transmitter set. But does optical trigger option could open me up to a world of using any flash I want that is camera compatible?

The easy way to do it is to just put the new cheap flash in slave mode with no external device connected. The flash will wait until it sees the light from another strobe/flash go off, then it will trigger itself.
If this new flash is only going to be used off camera it doesn't even need to be camera compatible.

Geez I learn so much on here. I never even thought that it didn't have to be compatible for slave mode.

I am leaning towards the optical trigger because I also want to use this in a public setting where there will be lots of people taking photos with all kinds of flashes and fancy cameras. This is why I am wondering how these optical sensor triggers work and if they will work with my current receiver transmitter set.

Okay. In this case using optical slave would not work.

I haven't worked with optical triggering only RF so I'll leave this to someone that has.

An optical trigger will fire the flash connected to it anytime it senses a flash. So, it would fire if it detects others flashes. If that is the case you should stick to the flash that you found that works with your current wireless system. Also in the future if you do events outside in daylight. The wireless will be the better option.

If your not familiar. Read through strobist.com. Lots of information on that site for using flash and has lots of info on using non-system equipment and what not. Start with lighting 101 and work your way through their tutorials. You will pick up a lot of good info.

If you are using Optical Triggering in a public place be aware that ANYONE's camera flash will trigger your flashes.
So expect them not to be available to your camera while they are recharging due to being triggered by anyone else there using their camera with flash, even Point & Shoots (any flash).

As was mentioned optical triggers with fire with ANY flash, and this means anyone and everyone else's flash. So it is of no value in public events or parties. Here I use RF triggers/slaves.

In a controlled environment, where only you are shooting, then it will work just fine.
Here I use a RF trigger/slave to fire my main flash, and optical triggers/slaves on my other flashes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back