Options for flash power?

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.petruzzo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a wedding yesterday in an especially dark location and for the first time I was frustrated by the refresh rate while using AA batteries in my 580EX. I've never looked into power packs and I understand there's a few different options available. I was hoping I might get the community's opinions on what some of the best and most cost effective options are? What do you think?

Also, this is post number 200! hurray! :)

Were your AA batteries alkaline or rechargeable? Rechargeables actually have a faster recharge rate.

Yeah, they're rechargeable. I use three sets of Energizer e2 rechargeable batteries which have been pretty good, but I'm ready to look into something bigger.

Yeah, they're rechargeable. I use three sets of Energizer e2 rechargeable batteries which have been pretty good, but I'm ready to look into something bigger.

E2's are hybrids if I am not mistaken. They peak out at 2200mah, so they tend to tire out faster and then the recycle times suffer.

Try testing things out with a set of 2700-2900 mah batteries.

As far as external battery packs, I mentioned in an earlier post here today that both Lumidyne and Quantum make external packs for various flash manufacturers.

Just be careful... these things can give you 1 second recycle times at full power... but your flashes will die a fast and ugly death if you overheat them by taking too many successive pictures without letting the flash cool down in between discharges.

They go for around 200-300 each.

On top of that if you use any flash gels to adjust the colour balance just note that ... they melt onto the flash head when you boost the flash recycle time.

best and most cost effective options are? What do you think?

Best and Cost Effective are often mutually exclusive... unfortunately.

Question.. When you have a fresh set of AA batteries installed is the recycle time acceptable? or is the recycle time degrading too quickly once you start to drain the AA batteries quickly?

If the recycle time is ok in the beginning and just draining too quickly sustain the recycle time you require, you might consider wiring up some D-cell rechargeable battery packs to your flash. Trip to Radio shack, 4 Dcell holder, some coiled wire, alligator clips and some DIY (soldering) time. You won't notice a faster recycle time compared to a fresh set of AA batteries but (at least in my case) the D cell batteries did not drain as quickly. This is a pretty in expensive project.

If the recycle time is not quick enough even with a fresh of AA batteries then you'll need an "real" external battery pack as mentioned previously. This options costs a more money.

Most reactions

Back