JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So,
How big of a difference in quality is there from a D200 to a D700?

I will be keeping my D200 as a back up but wanted to hear from the community. The current price is 2300.00... Is it worth the price?

I feel like it is every bit worth the price.
I have a d200 as well and have played with a d700. If you are looking for something that will be MUCH MUCH better in low light and has a full frame sensor do it. You will notice a big difference performance wise.
I want one so badly, but alas, I need a new computer first and my tax return was literally half this year what it was last year.

Compare cameras

The above compares only the sensor performance differences. The D700 also has a better battery, better viewfinder, and a much more capable and a newer autofocus system that was not available even in the pro-level Nikons when the D200 was current.

The D700 has a sensor that's roughly 864 square mm in area, while the D200 is 370 square mm--so the D700 is significantly better at low-light and high-ISO shooting. The D700 is one of the top d-slr's on the market. Just so you know, Nikon is expected to announce a new camera or camera within days of today's date.

I was considering the same, but depending on what lenses you have, you might be shooting yourself in the foot. If you have any dx lenses, the D700 will essentially be a mid quality 5mp camera. Two of the three lenses that I have are fx (24-70 and 70-200) but the 12-24mm lens is a dx... So any wide angle shots would be a bit limited, and I didn't feel like trying to sell it and buy a 14-24mm wide angle. Plus I like the extra bit of reach that you get with a dx sensor. I ended up upgrading to a D300s... huge difference compared to the D200. All of a sudden iso 3200 is usable, compared to the max usasble iso of 800 on the D200.

Still, the D700 is pretty tempting, but if I end up going full frame, I'll pick up a pro body.

Just wait. New d700 is coming.

If you have any dx lenses, the D700 will essentially be a mid quality 5mp camera.
Quality is more than MP. You would be able use those honking big pixels, 5 MP, at ISO levels uncommon to most 5 MP cameras.

The only DX lens I have is the 18-70mm. I have a 24-85 from my film days. See my signature for details. So, really it is between the D300s and the D700.

The OP has only one DX lens, an 18-70 that was the kit lens for many D70 buyers. Generally speaking, there are no DX zoom lenses worth worrying about when deciding to move from a DX format to an FX format Nikon body. DX zoom lenses by their very nature are lower-priced lenses; the OP already has an excellent 24-85 f/2.8~4 zoom lens that's better than the 18-70 DX, so right there there's absolutely no incentive to remain at the DX level using a kit zoom.

There should be ZERO question of which to choose from between those cameras. Well, unless it's the money that's the issue.

well here's the deal. Since I was first poster, give me the money you saved for the battery grip so I can start saving too. PLEASE??!! haha Im just joshin with you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back