P-51 - F15 together.

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Awesome combo in my eyes!

MilwAirShow383_edited-1.jpg

Cool combo! Not sure if you were looking for critique, but there is no real sense of motion in the image.

Cool combo! Not sure if you were looking for critique, but there is no real sense of motion in the image.

With a solid background(no clouds ) and two aircraft going at 400+ knots, a focal length of 400mm on a 15lbs camera / lens setup handheld and panning... no, maybe not a sense of motion but what the hell give it a go and see what you can do;) Not bitching... but I thought it was a nice clean shot of two iconic mothballed warbirds in flight.

Just wanting to share that's all

Oh it is, and not complaining at all. Amazing sight ...

Criticism was not meant to be negative ... just an observation.

Woah. Just out of curiosity, how the hell'd the pilots manage to get those two together? That's like catching a Morris Minor and an Aston Martin DBR9 at the same corner (forgive the quintessentially English comparison).

Still, nice!

I'll place my bet on the F15....mustangs are cool....but KABOOM

WOW! Nice composition!

Holy hell :lmao:.....I love the combo. I personally would have gone with a slightly different crop but great shot none the less.

Ironically I recently used this pair of aircraft in an explination of my thought process as to why there was no war boom with the current wars going on.

Battou - 08 Jun 2009 05:06 said:
sagephotoworld - 08 Jun 2009 02:08 said:
What puzzles me is why there's no war boom with the battles currently raging in Afghanistan, Iraq etc.

The answer to that is rather simple actually, it's a stockpiling thing paired with an efficiency element. The countries involved in these wars have been maintaining sufficient armerments for several decades. Like we have discussed the war boom happens when countries are paying for armerments, Naturally you don't need to buy what you already have, You already did that some time ago so no new money is being spent.

Look at the service records for americain aircraft over the last few decades and then compaire them to those of WWII.

In 1942 the P-51 was introduced, this aircraft remained in active service with the USAF untill 1968 (though small few other countries kept the aircraft in service untill as reasently as 1984). Of the 15,875 P-51 Mustangs built, only 441 have survived to date, I assume not all of those aircraft where lost during the second world war but it is safe to say that aircraft had to be replaced with some frequency. This Aircraft was also designed and built during the second world war making it a new comodoty at the time requiring major spending to replace lost fighters.

Now we look at todays aircraft. The F-15 was introduced in 1976. This aircraft is currently on active duty and in production. Since it's introduction there are only five notable instances of inncodent involving damage or loss of an aircraft. Of those five instances only five aircraft where lost. Two instances involving three aircraft crashed during training opperations, One inncodent where aricraft was destroyed when it collided with another aircraft during training (it however returned to base despite having the wing sheared off completely), One aircraft was shot down by friendly fire during training and one aircraft was damaged in another friendly fire inncodent during training, but was repaired and returned to active duty. The F-15 still boasts a record of having never been shot down in combat opperations. Simply put if the aircraft is not destroyed you don't need to buy a new one, so these aricraft are not being replaced due to lost aircraft with any frequency at all. Now despite the USAF replacing the F-15 with the F-22, it is estimated that the F-15 will remain in active service until the late 2020's or early 2030's.

53 years (1976 - 2025(?)) is a big jump in service time from 26 years (1942 - 1968). Now since the Air force has these planes that are doing the job there is no real need to build bigger better badder equipment in a hurry like what was seen before,during and after WWII. More efficient aircraft that are not being shot down are being recycled to keep cost down, effectively delaying or denying any sort of war boom.

Good clean shot, with good exposure.

What would have made this an excellent shot would be if you had prop blur on the P-51. Helicopters and prop planes just do not look right frozen.

You would prob have to shoot between f/16-f/22 and drop your shutter down to about 1/125-1/160 and then use your panning skills, which is must easier said than done.

I know nothing about planes, but I think it's cool to get two different planes in one shot :p, and technically the photo is perfect.

What would have made this an excellent shot would be if you had prop blur on the P-51. Helicopters and prop planes just do not look right frozen.

You would prob have to shoot between f/16-f/22 and drop your shutter down to about 1/125-1/160 and then use your panning skills, which is must easier said than done.

1/250 would of been perfect for the P51
you have to go as slow as 1/90-1/125 for copters though

1/250 would of been perfect for the P51
you have to go as slow as 1/90-1/125 for copters though

1/250th was not slow enough as it happens the prop would just start to blur at1/250th. I tried about 200 shots to get blur but panning at such a slow shutter speed with 15lbs 0f lens and camera handheld was beyond practical for me. I opted for good clean sharp shots at different angles of attack. like these.
MilwAirShow2822_edited-1.jpg

MilwAirShow3038_edited-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back