Panasonic Lumix FZ-8 Questions

Tyraxus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello

I was always drawn to photography, but never had the "time" to do it. Two months ago, I actually wanted to buy a camera, non-DSLR, but with full manual controls. I went to buy the camera with a photographer for a local newspaper. However, I was a little astonished. There was a Cannon SX I think, for 400 bucks, however he made me spend 800$ on a Panasonic Lumix FZ-8. Well, although it had less megapixels and half the optic zoom, I said ok, well, maybe it's better, or maybe im paying for leica.
I got home and actually took some shots in simple mode. HUGE dissapointment. Went outside, took some other pictures, it was ok to pretty good.
I complained to my friend, and he said it's my fault, I dont need a DSLR untill I can actually drive one. He said the camera is perfect, except of course in some low light condition, but who actually learns photography indoors?
He offered to take my camera for a spin drive, one week in greece. Needles to say, most of his pictures were masterworks. The sharp crisp clarity was astonishing. Sadly, the guy emigrated in Canada (got a better job) and I cannot contact him now and ask what is it that he did. I've been reading the manual and doing some work of my own, posting the pictures. Hoping for some critique!
My main question is ... does anyone use FZ-8 or used? I really need some points and tips to get around the quirks of the camera. I had a problem with noise factors, I heard Panasonic is infamous for this, however, i resolved the problem by buying NeatImage Pro edition.
Below are the photos :

lightriver.jpg

panoramabmq.jpg

pyramidm.jpg

hello... sorry i can at all give any suggestions as I am the biggest noobs on this site, i just wanted to comment on your photos they look great, that gives me hope as i brought a panasonic lumix fz28.

How did you get the effect of the car lights like that?

hello... sorry i can at all give any suggestions as I am the biggest noobs on this site, i just wanted to comment on your photos they look great, that gives me hope as i brought a panasonic lumix fz28.

How did you get the effect of the car lights like that?

Congratulations on your purchase. Lumixe's are great camera's, problem is they take a lot of time to learn them.

The effect was simple to make. I just my exposure to 4 seconds, on a tripod mounted on te balcony!

Does not anyone can help me at all?

I have a FZ7. I got it because at the time I figured I wasn't ready for a DSLR. I learned the basics of full manual with it. Manual focus with the joystick was a pain. It had serious problems with noise at anything over ISO 200.

Shoot in aperture priority, program, or manual. Keep the ISO as low as you can get away with for the shot. Shoot in RAW. The camera's capable of quality images...but learning to control it is a pain and will take a while.

On the bright side, when you make the jump to a DSLR you'll be amazed at how easy everything has become :lol:

I have a FZ7. I got it because at the time I figured I wasn't ready for a DSLR. I learned the basics of full manual with it. Manual focus with the joystick was a pain. It had serious problems with noise at anything over ISO 200.

Shoot in aperture priority, program, or manual. Keep the ISO as low as you can get away with for the shot. Shoot in RAW. The camera's capable of quality images...but learning to control it is a pain and will take a while.

On the bright side, when you make the jump to a DSLR you'll be amazed at how easy everything has become :lol:

Thanks for the tip. I was adamant to shoot in RAW untill now!
I know it has a lot of noise problems above ISO 100.
Why is RAW so better? No information is lost? What do you used for RAW images? Lightroom 2, Camera Raw, or Silkypix? I also have bought Neat Image and works wonders on this particular camera model!

Oh ... what do you think of my pics?

You can try Samanax ways above at post #7. Plus, more info on the photo would be nice; Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, size of image taken, etc.

Photo #3 looks good, capturing are nice.

p.s. I spend around 100 hours already from reading blog, forum and magazine. It takes afford and trying to master your camera. It might be easy or hard depending on your talent.

Kcc

You can try Samanax ways above at post #7. Plus, more info on the photo would be nice; Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, size of image taken, etc.

Photo #3 looks good, capturing are nice.

p.s. I spend around 100 hours already from reading blog, forum and magazine. It takes afford and trying to master your camera. It might be easy or hard depending on your talent.

Kcc

Regarding FZ-8 ... why should I shoot RAW? The difference between the JPG and a processed raw is extremly minuscule. What's the advantage?

Most reactions

Back