Partial eclipse Oct 3rd

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For anyone in Spain and N Africa there will be an Annular Eclipse (Partial for the rest of Europe) on October 3rd at approx 07:45 am.

The following gif shows the path and times of the eclipse.

map4oo.png

This is what the Eclipse will look like from different locations at it's maximum.

examples9tj.png

Both these graphics and more information including how to photograph this event can be found at http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_1593_1.asp

Does it make sense though?!

All the surface area covered by the eclipse "grid" will see an Annular or partial eclipse. The "grid" lines show the start/finish times for the area covered by that section. Obviously the gray "track" down the centre will be the path of the moons shadow and anywhere along this track will see a full Annular eclipse (i.e the moon will pass in front of the Sun but won't be big enough to totally obscure it, thus leaving a bright ring around the moon)

Here in the UK we're looking at a total eclipse time of about 2 1/2 hours (start to finish)

Unfortunately the Earth will be out of the Moons shadow before it reaches the USA.

ok it took me a while to understand that but ok :p unfortunatelly I won't be at home then :( or... w8 a moment... this is a local time or what?!?!

I remember seeing the full eclipse in '99. I loved seeing all the little cresent moons in the shadows.

Now to decide whether to stay at home and miss my first lecture on Monday morning or not for this.

Think I'll need to be catching up in Psychology the next day :blushing:

Okay, total beginner here.

This sounds so cool. I remember watching the last total eclipse - fascinating!

Anyway,if I went to take pics, what would I have to watch out for - basically what is the best method of taking pictures of something like that (hope this question isn't too dumb :lmao: )?

Gem: If you're going to try to photograph the eclipse I reccomend taking a look at the link in the first post!

Whatever you do, don't look through your camera viewfinder without any good, dark solar filters on the lens (before ANY light passes through the glass! Sunglasses WONT be good enough:er: ) At best you'll see dark spots for the rest of the morning and at worst you'll burn your retina and be blind in that eye (and suffer lots of pain too!:confused: )

Here we go ... by sheer luck I got this picture in Magdeburg (well ALMOST Berlin :))

sofi.jpg

I already posted it in the Nature gallery but I thought it also belongs here. It was a really foggy morning so I took this just with the camera pointing at the sun and pressing the button ... never do this when the weather conditions are different!

i live in england, and work in birmingham.. and... it was cloudy today, i had my camera ready to take some pics of it.. but NOTHING!.. lol. i was gutted... aww maaan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back