Patriot Park

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have our share of problems here, but honoring our Vets, is not one of them. Having Medal Of Honor recipient Col. Ola Mize, as a hometown man doesn't hurt. Throughout the city are numerous, remembrances of those that served. Missed getting this one posted yesterday, the last of the 4th series.

Ola Mize Vetran 07042017_612-Edit-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the tones and the composition here. It does appear to have a bit of a left lean, still. The flag poles give it away.

I like the tones and the composition here. It does appear to have a bit of a left lean, still. The flag poles give it away.

Nope I leveled with the top of the wall and the bottom of the roof line. The poles must be leaning :allteeth: but I'll check it again, to make sure the eyes weren't "leaning" when I did it.

Nope I leveled with the top of the wall and the bottom of the roof line. The poles must be leaning :allteeth: but I'll check it again, to make sure the eyes weren't "leaning" when I did it.

I pulled it in photoshop and put a guide across it, was definitely a tad off level....

35737245205_95b0924b85_b.jpg

On a side note, flagpoles (which is one word btw) always make images look a little off.

In photoshop, I opened in the crop/rotate tool and used the flags as guides.
This is the image 1.3 degrees rotated right. Helps my eyes anyhow. Strong image either way!
35737245205_95b0924b85_b.jpg

Ha ha- great minds think alike

In photoshop, I opened in the crop/rotate tool and used the flags as guides.
This is the image 1.3 degrees rotated right. Helps my eyes anyhow. Strong image either way!

Apparently when I processed this into a JPEG I didn't lock the image to the frame. Appears the slope of the terrain caused everything to slip downhill just a little bit. :bouncingsmileys:

t does appear to have a bit of a left lean, still. The flag poles give it away.

Combination of slight level issue, corrected, and a slight negative correction to perspective distortion. Can't slip anything past you guys!!!!!!!!!!

Ola Mize Vetran 07042017_612-Edit-Edit.jpg

Footnote on the image: This was shot using my $19 Cokin (Ebay knockoff) graduated ND filter set. I was actually quite pleasantly pleased with the quality and performance of the set. Having the ability to stack and adjust independently up to three at a time, makes it a lot easier to balance the exposure.

All that follows is obviously my opinion so feel free to close your eyes now.

The details of this picture that bother me are:

That little sliver at the lower left
That one flagpole is distinctly off vertical
That the middle tones that contribute to the richness of the photo seem to be missing; to me the entire picture looks flat and without much tonal interest.
upload_2017-7-5_18-8-17.png

What does confuse me is that people see this as a good image when it is, to me, just a vanilla documentation of what the architect designed with no obvious creative input from the photographer.
Additionally, usually the conversion to BW is done to keep colors from attracting the eye and alone the tones and textures to triumph.
This doesn't seem to be happening here.
There are flags against the dark green trees and it seems to me that, without seeing the original, that the image has lost a lot of impact with teh color without getting in back in the BW.

Sorry,

Lew

Congrats on living where vets are honored and rightfully so! We have had thieves steal the older bronze and brass flag holders from graves in areas close to me here and it makes my blood boil. If I caught someone doing this, I am sure I would spend some time in prison. It seems the concensus is that you have a nice image here, no matter what The_Traveler thinks:trink39:

you have a nice image here, no matter what The_Traveler thinks:trink39:

There is no need to try and rundown my opinion to make yours seem better.
We have different tastes and telling what I see as the truth is respectful to the OP.

you have a nice image here, no matter what The_Traveler thinks:trink39:

There is no need to try and rundown my opinion to make yours seem better.
We have different tastes and telling what I see as the truth is respectful to the OP.

You did not understand my post. I was not " running down " your opinion. I was simply stating the majority of the posts were not in agreement with you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Not my intention to do so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back