Pentax *istDL and manual K-mount lens?

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone here use this camera or any of the other digital *ist range? I'm thinking of getting one mostly because I already have a number of Pentax M lenses that I like. The site says they work, but with restrictions. I'm guessing these restrictions are the obvious no-auto anything. But the site was kind of ambiguous and I'd like to see if anyone here has found any problems with this setup.

How well does the camera interface with the older lenses?

Thanks.

Sorry, upon rereading that sounds a little snobbish. I didn't mean that at all, just giving you a link where you might find info. Poor wording, sorry.

Dave

I have a ist ds as well as the ist film version. I too bought them to use with my older manual lenses. I haven't had any problems with them. Since I got the ds, I really haven't used the film version much. You obviously can't use auto focus, but other than that, you can pretty much do everything else. I have found that the light meter doesn't work quite as well with the manual lenses but you can do a preview and figure it out from there. It seems to be more of an issue when your aperture is wide open than somewhere in the middle. Other than that, I can't think of anything I can do with an AF lens that I can't do w/ a manual lens. It still gives you a focus indicator when it thinks your subject is perfectly focused, and tries to give a good light meter reading. I tend to use mine pretty much in manual mode though, and don't really venture back to the automatic settings.
Really, I can't say anything bad about the camera. It does everything that I could ask of it. If you have specific questions about doing this or that, I'll try and answer b/c like I said, I tend to use it almost exclusively in manual mode anyway.

Most reactions

Back