Pentax k100d questions

Flyingkidjoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.

I just got a pentax k100d, and was really excited about it. But after using it and reading it. I realized i had a few questions. I was wondering how you can tell the difference between the k100d and the k100d super. Because I'm not sure if I have the super, or normal.

Next thing. I thought I read somewhere that my camera can only handle certain large f stops. like f1.4 might be to large for my camera. anyone know if there are limits to my DSLR?

I am not sure about you first question.but as to f/stops being too large for your camera I am 99% this is not the case. the lowest numerical f/stop (how wide open the aperture can open) is determined by the lens

i agree, the f/stop is determined by the lens, not the camera itself

i can also help with the first question: i also have the K100D and it is my pride and joy
if you have the K100D super there should be a "super" under the big K100D on the side of the camera body
but if its any consequence the only discernible difference between the K100D and the Super is dimensions and mass: the Super is very slightly smaller than the K100D, probably has faster mechanisms and whatnot in it, personally i didnt bother with it...

Thanks guys. It looks like mine is just he k100d.

I was also wondering about the 1.5x crop factor on my camera. I've got the 18-55mm f3.6-f5.6 lens, and I was wondering if the 18-55 is already with the crop factor, or my lens is really a 27-82.5mm?

i believe if your lens was made for a DSLR the conversion should be made already, but that just seems like common sense on my end so im not really basing it on anything hahah

i believe if your lens was made for a DSLR the conversion should be made already, but that just seems like common sense on my end so im not really basing it on anything hahah

No, not really. The focal length of the zoom varies from 18 to 55mm, which is equivalent to 27-82.5mm in terms of field of view on a 35mm camera.

So in my eyes, I truly have a 27-82.5mm lens. The crop factor is kinda confusing..

No, not really. The focal length of the zoom varies from 18 to 55mm, which is equivalent to 27-82.5mm in terms of field of view on a 35mm camera.

just think of crop factor as holding a index card or post it note in your left hand, hold a flashlight in your right hand, point it at the post it note, and the "beam" of light will be wider than the post it note, there will be excess/left over light that doesn't hit the post it. Some of your light is getting "cropped" out of the post it. Imagine the post it note as your camera sensor. A full frame sensor is physically larger and captures more light that a smaller sensor crops out.

Sensors are basically the most expensive part of a camera, thats why full frame cameras often cost a lot more than crop sensors, because they are larger

Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

The difference in the K100D, and the K100D Super are : the Super can use SDM lenses. These lenses have a motor in them for faster and quieter focusing. And the Super also has a dust removal system in it ( which from what I hear isn't all that great, but from what I have read, none of the dust removal systems are very good in any DSLR )

And the "crop factor" does not make your lens magnify more, it just narrows the field of view.

Most reactions

Back