pentax me super + 160 sa flash: how do i overide shutterspeed?

feelthedarkness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive read the instructions and theyre just vague. i guess thats what i deserve for getting a pentax me. i cant seem to change the shutterspeed. all i can change is the aperture. anyone have any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

I Googled and found this:
The Pentax ME Super was an aperture priority automatic camera, with an electronic focal plane shutter from 4s to 1/2000, synchronized at 1/125. The shutter curtains were metal and had a vertical movement. For manual mode, the shutter knob usual at the time was replaced by two buttons, up and down, to select the shutter speed. The exposure meter was of the standard TTL open aperture center weighted type. It was activated by a slight pressure on the release button
from here http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_Super

I had one, and not for too long, so this is going from a distant memory, but give it a shot anyhow.

On the main knob that surrounds the shutter release, press the white button down and rotate the knob to point to 'M'. I believe the white button allows the knob to be rotated away from 'L' or 'Auto'.

Then, set the shutter speed by pressing one of the two black buttons next to the pentaprism. One will increase the shutter speed, one will decrease it. The shutter speeds aren't displayed on the top of the camera, but along the bottom or top of the viewfinder. So you have to have working electronics and a good battery so the shutter speed LEDs are visible in there.

One neat thing about this camera is that even though the shutter is electronically-timed, the flash sync and bulb settings are mechanical, so you're not totally up the creek if you run out of battery power midway through your shooting.

Enjoy this compact beauty!

I had mine with Pentax's excellent 50 mm f/1.4 lens. In retrospect, I should've kept the lens; it was a beauty; very sharp and contrasty. But at the time, I was selling off all SLRs that weren't Olympus, so there you have it.

Oh, welcome to TPF, by the way!

There are some good links (and some in Japanese) at the bottom of the page that Big Mike linked to. Have a look.

thanks for the help. but ithnk my question wasnt very specific either. haha. but the question iwas asking is how do i override the sycronized 125x when i use flash? everytime i put it on the hot shoe. itll automatically set itself at 125x and i cant change theshutterspeed if iwant to use the flash.

How about if you turn the flash off and fire it right away?

Otherwise, just leave the damn flash off. :D

The only way that I know of to override the flash sync is to take the flash off the hotshoe and use some kind of remote triggering system.

Most reactions

Back