Permission

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gundy74, Nov 15, 2006.

1. gundy74

gundy74 TPF Noob!

Is it necessary to ask a subject's permission when taking a photo to make a profit. it seems logical but then I think about the papparrazi. are there any laws governing this subject?

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Depends on where the picture is being taken.

3. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Technically speaking, anyone who is in a PUBLIC place, (not a private establishement like a resteraunt), is subject to be photographed at your discretion. I know this because I called the Police after a very suspicious guy was taking pics of girls trick or treating when they came to his house... nothing we can do.

However if you sell the picture, and it can be tied to that person's LIKENESS, then YES they have a right to the picture. For instance if you were doing a photoshoot on legs, and were taking random shots of legs, and sold them in a gallery there is nothing anyone could do unless it could be determined that the person could be distinguished merely by their legs. (a tattoo perhaps)... but if you took a picture of a really pretty girl and sold her face as the model for a new perfume... she could sue.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is also the issue of 'fair use'...which means that you can take a picture in public to use for news reporting and stuff like that. That is different than using a photo in advertising, for example.

To get the best answer...contact a lawyer in your area. Or at least someone who would know...a newspaper or pro photographer etc.

5. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

There it really gets into the general nuts and bolts:

For your personal use - the sky is the limit.

For publication - it depends on its use. If you are specifically using that persons likeness to generate your business, then its probably a no-no. Selling the photo for use in a magazine or newspaper - fair game.

Theres a ton of information in that link (and further links to Photographers Rights and the like). Should be required reading really.

6. gundy74

gundy74 TPF Noob!

I plan on photographing students at my school abd enter the photo in a contest. Asking permission wouldnt be a problem but i want the shot to be a group therefore making asking several people (some of whom I wont know) a big hassle.

Contest winners do get a cash prize if that makes a difference.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I lot of contests require you to give them at least some rights to use the image. You may not have those rights to pass on without a release. I think you'd be best off to check with someone local (at least to your state) who really is in the position to know. There are way too many opinions on this out there to trust it to the Internet.

8. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    He should be fine. It doesnt sound like the purpose of the photo is to generate cash flow, and at best the photo is going to be used for promotional purposes.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think generally when you talk about the "paparazzi" the images they use are of public figures and as far as I know they are fair game for photographers publishing their images.

10. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

USA is probably different, and to be honest I would check first.. But here in the U.K. if you can photograph it from public property ... You can... Although here there is a worrying trend. In order to clear up what might eventually become a grey area if it were to be published, People started to get "Model release forms" signed. A). Good , no quible... B). Bad, it becomes custom and practise and therefore becomes law through the back door. And of course some areas such as young children are extremely sensitive.

12. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I remember a case about a dozen years ago. A commercial shooter photographed a young girl riding on a carousel at an amusement park. Theoretically, it was a public place so the photographer didn't need a release. The image was used in a magazine ad. The girl's parents sued and won. I can't recall whether this issue was that the subject was a minor or what the issue was but it had photogs talking about it for a long time. Basically, there is no substitute for a release.

But use common sense. Here's an image I shot many years ago in Japan. The subject is really the neon signs. There are people in the frame and, even though they are recognizable, they are out of focus and incidental to the subject and they aren't compromised in any way from being included in the shot. They are just going about their business. This shot had no release and was published in a magazine. The magazine didn't give it a second thought.

Common sense should prevail. The girl on the carousel was the subject and her image was being used to advertise a product. The street scene in Japan has people in it that are incidental to the shot.

[​IMG]