Philosophical: Photography "too easy" ?

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Has Photography Gotten Too Easy?

By becoming thoughtless and easy, it also becomes trivial and devalued.

Personally I never was interested in photography until it became digital. So to me its reverse, really. Handling all these chemicals, just eww. Too much of a hassle, wont do it.

I dont exactly produce a flood of images though. Finding an image thats actually worth taking will always stay a challenge with photography.

Its also very easy to write a text. Is it thus easy to write a good book worth reading ? Not at all.

The Victorian age killed the art of letter writing by kindness: it was only too easy to catch the post. A lady sitting down at her desk a hundred years before had not only certain ideals of logic and restraint before her, but the knowledge that a letter which cost so much money to send and excited so much interest to receive was worth time and trouble.

Poor example because letters never have been art.

But her insight holds true—the easier it becomes to convey a message in a certain medium, the less selective we grow about what that message contains, and soon we are conveying the trifles and banalities of our day-to-day life, simply because it is effortless to fill the page (or feed, or screen, or whatever medium comes next).

Regular conversation. Not art.

And I dont think the images of this posting help the argument either. The photograph of the mother of Virginia Woolf is much worse than the image of Virginia Woolf.

Last edited:
Digital cameras are the best invention since the wheel.......

Anyone who thinks photography is easy needs to post a photo on-line and request C&C :)

Mixed feelings about photography becoming easier. One still has to see the image and compose. However compared to when I was using film digital cost me a lot less per shot which means I am able to do more and push my own boundaries. So with out getting into a film v digital for me digital has made life easier, enabled me to be more creative, all on a limited budget. I notice that men cards are so massive in mem size and oh so much cheaper. Again mixed feelings. Do I use several 8 or 16 g cards and spread the risk or go for 1 200g card and have all mt images in one place..

That depends on your definition. For the casual "snapshot" user heck yes. You can snap a picture of the kids, apply any number of effects, and share it all over the world in a matter of minutes from your cell phone. For the more advanced photographer the medium has changed, but all the things that elevate an image from snapshot to art remain.

As we are talking about has digital made life easier are we allowed to do the film ver digital on this occasion I am a newbie here and think I saw that film v digital was frowned upon

This is a discussion I had (almost a knock down drag out BTW) about this very point.

Photography has been heavily cheapend because of smartphones, period.

The ability to have a "zombie pic" app tells volumes.

But the "art" aspect is only gone if one wishes to believe so.

The main points of the discussion/near argument was that the "millinials" ( I am between the Boomers and Gen Xers) don't have a clue.
I think that is only true because of the fact that in education (especially in the US) the system is not teaching fundamentals of anything, much less the fundamentals of geometry, art, science, etc. that though is not a "trigger" or an absolute, non the less gives a substantial leg up to creativity.

Understanding such things and rules of thirds, vanishing points, perspective, shade, tone et-al, gives the ability of the individual to enhance the creativity as a whole.

However: The medium (media) is only secondary. Digital did for photography today what 110 instamatics did in the 1970's. suddenly everyone is an expert.

The 110 is still film. Given the right camera you can be just as creative with it as would one with a Hasselblad.

Ironically, Hasselblad gave rights to a Chinese firm to make a Moto-mod (to whit I have one) that is only as good as the photographer.

the long and short is not that digital is cheapening, its the fact that our education system sucks and doesn't teach composure and form in schools.

Ok at the risk of getting slapped by one of the modararaters yes digital has made life easier for me
Here are just a few of my plus list
No more storing several rolls of different iso/asa film in the fridge
Ability carry More storage I used to use 5mtr of film in an evening now I take 600 to 1000 images
Chem free darkroom/post production
Cost
The ability to push back the limits of my dreams

I wonder how all those early photographers reacted to the Kodak Brownie (photography made easy) when it came out in 1900.

I wonder how all those early photographers reacted to the Kodak Brownie (photography made easy) when it came out in 1900.

:icon_thumbsup: Yep.

kodak.jpg

Pressing the button is pretty bleepin' easy. "The only camera that anybody can use without instructions."

Joe

@Original katomi since you seemed to take exception with my comment by marking it disagree, then maybe you could explain how or why you disagree with my comment, rather then marking and moving on. Do you also disagree with Squarepeg, socoom1, or others who've said the same? Maybe you also disagree with some your own comments?

This is a discussion I had (almost a knock down drag out BTW) about this very point.

The main points of the discussion/near argument was that the "millinials" ( I am between the Boomers and Gen Xers) don't have a clue.
I think that is only true because of the fact that in education (especially in the US) the system is not teaching fundamentals of anything, much less the fundamentals of geometry, art, science, etc. that though is not a "trigger" or an absolute, non the less gives a substantial leg up to creativity.

Understanding such things and rules of thirds, vanishing points, perspective, shade, tone et-al, gives the ability of the individual to enhance the creativity as a whole.

However: The medium (media) is only secondary. Digital did for photography today what 110 instamatics did in the 1970's. suddenly everyone is an expert.

The 110 is still film. Given the right camera you can be just as creative with it as would one with a Hasselblad.

Ironically, Hasselblad gave rights to a Chinese firm to make a Moto-mod (to whit I have one) that is only as good as the photographer.

the long and short is not that digital is cheapening, its the fact that our education system sucks and doesn't teach composure and form in schools.

There's a Zombie Pic App? - I have to try that!

There's a Zombie Pic App? - I have to try that!

2019-04-10_00-21-29.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back