Photo bag stolen from car

I hope your Serial Numbers are recorded. Make sure the police have those.

i have the boxes with all the original paperwork. hopefully its on there.

Yeah, the serial numbers are on the warranty papers, you should have those in hand by the time the police gets there.
And sorry that your gear got stolen. Did you leave it on the back seat or in the trunk?

I think there are a few websites that also run a serial tracing method - ie people upload the stolen items serial numbers to the site and then people can check on ebay and craiglist sales when they ask for the serial number against the shown list.

What are those sites? I would like to know if the gear I was interested in happen to be stolen.

I hope your Serial Numbers are recorded. Make sure the police have those.

i have the boxes with all the original paperwork. hopefully its on there.

Yeah, the serial numbers are on the warranty papers, you should have those in hand by the time the police gets there.
And sorry that your gear got stolen. Did you leave it on the back seat or in the trunk?

it was on the floor behind the pasenger seat.

I think you need to update your gear list........:er:

Sorry I could not resist.....

ouch! that hurts. hope you get reimbursed somehow with this.. people are such jerks!

definitely keep an eye on craigslist, the local paper ads, and contact photo stores in your area that buy back used equipment.

a place i used to work at got a call one day from someone saying one of their camera bodies was stolen that morning..another call came in while we were still on the phone with this guy, asking how much he would get to sell back that same body..we told him to come on in with it and quoted a price. we called the police, and two undercover cops were waiting for him in the store. he was arrested for theft on the spot, and they found out he had been wanted for soemthing else too.

so keep an eye out!

definitely keep an eye on craigslist, the local paper ads, and contact photo stores in your area that buy back used equipment.

a place i used to work at got a call one day from someone saying one of their camera bodies was stolen that morning..another call came in while we were still on the phone with this guy, asking how much he would get to sell back that same body..we told him to come on in with it and quoted a price. we called the police, and two undercover cops were waiting for him in the store. he was arrested for theft on the spot, and they found out he had been wanted for soemthing else too.

so keep an eye out!

interesting. thanks.

This remind me a true story that happened more than 10 years ago. One of my friend own a small restaurant. One afternoon, a person showed up at his restaurant and tried to sell him a used car stereo.

Just happened that he need a car stereo so he took a look at it. And found that the stereo was the same model as the one he used to own and was stolen from his truck when he parked it some place else not long ago.

So he told him wanted it and need to go back and get the cash ..... but he called the police instead and the police arrived shortly and caught the guy. And yes, that was his stereo and the guy had no idea he stole it from his truck.

This remind me a true story that happened more than 10 years ago. One of my friend own a small restaurant. One afternoon, a person showed up at his restaurant and tried to sell him a used car stereo.

Just happened that he need a car stereo so he took a look at it. And found that the stereo was the same model as the one he used to own and was stolen from his truck when he parked it some place else not long ago.

So he told him wanted it and need to go back and get the cash ..... but he called the police instead and the police arrived shortly and caught the guy. And yes, that was his stereo and the guy had no idea he stole it from his truck.

wow. thats rare.

Those stories are nuts! I've been through like 4 blackberries in the last 3 years and one of them was kinda stolen, I dropped it in my front lawn and the next day the lawn people were here to cut the grass and what do you know.. GONE! (I know I dropped it in the lawn because as I pulled into my driveway for the night I was on the phone with my husband and then couldn't find it that night and assumed it was just in the car so went to bed.) I too stalked craigslist but never saw it pop up, whoever snatched it up probably just kept it for themselves.. thats the diff with a phone and a camera I guess. Chances are the thief isn't into photography LOL and will try to sell it. Again, good luck man!

You metioned that your in a gated community. I'd have to think that it's probably someone close by to you that saw you putting your gear in and out of your car and KNEW it was in there. I doubt that it was random unless other vehicles in your complex have been broken into also. I'd have to say look close to home to find the culprit. I'm betting he's closer then you think.
On the more obvious note, unless you've just got money to waste and really dont care, then leaving $5000 worth of anything in a vehicle is just a bad idea.
If i'm out shooting and i have to run into a store, the camera bag and laptop bag come with me ALL the time. Just too risky to have it walk away in an instant. And as far as locking the doors on your vehicle, that is a complete waste of time. just ask a locksmith how fast they can get your door open when you lock your keys in it. I know, i had it happen to me and before i walked out of my house to go meet the guy, he had my keys in his hand. Locks are for honest people. If a thief wants in, it's just a minor inconvenience at best.
I'm sure you've learned from this and we are all very sorry to hear you lost so much, but the bottom line is, unless your willing to lose it, dont ever take your eyes off of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back