Photo Cliches you Love to Hate

I think this is the second thread of Peeb's that I've completely derailed.

sleist said:
Oh. Just thought of one.

Moon shots ...

Not to mention "supermoon" shots...especially those done with 18-55 zooms...without a doubt, one of THE most over-hyped,useless types of photo is the supermoon shot...

Hey, is there a Photo Theme thread for cliches yet? If not, we should totally start one. :D Or maybe I should suggest it for the theme of the next photo challenge.

Circa 2009, complete with white untrimmed white edges from rotating without cropping in GIMP.

The assumption that the word snapshot is a pejorative term saddens me.

How do you define "snapshot"?

To me its any image that lacks significance beyond those directly involved with the moment in time which it was taken. To me, it doesn't matter how visually or technically "good" or "bad" the image is.

A photograph is intended to inform (journalism),communicate (design) or explore (art), while creating it's own memory of itself through dialogue with the audience - the art object.

A snapshot augments the memory of those involved. The object is not the photograph, but the memory that the photograph is associated with.

Last edited:

To me its any image that lacks significance beyond those directly involved with the moment in time which it was taken. To me, it doesn't matter how visually or technically "good" or "bad" the image is.

A photograph is intended to inform (journalism),communicate (design) or explore (art), while creating it's own memory of itself through dialogue with the audience - the art object.

A snapshot augments the memory of those involved. The object is not the photograph, but the memory that the photograph is associated with.

That's fine, unpopular, but why so many people feel the need to disparage something which has an important social function in capturing the moment is what baffles me. Snapshots do inform on a wider scale: if you want to know what people were doing in the 70's and 80's (or in 50's and 60's for that matter), you'll get a good idea by looking at collections of snapshots.

In its quest to be accepted as art, photography is in danger of pushing aside something quintessential to itself.

I think this is the second thread of Peeb's that I've completely derailed.
I welcome input- sane or otherwise. :D

Thoroughly enjoying this thead in all it's glory.

That's fine, unpopular, but why so many people feel the need to disparage something which has an important social function in capturing the moment is what baffles me. Snapshots do inform on a wider scale: if you want to know what people were doing in the 70's and 80's (or in 50's and 60's for that matter), you'll get a good idea by looking at collections of snapshots.

In its quest to be accepted as art, photography is in danger of pushing aside something quintessential to itself.

I agree completely. That's kind of the thing about it being a "snapshot", it's kind of up to the audience to decide. It's more about the audience's relationship.

When I was in art school, I had a habit of collecting every little bit of stranger's lives I came across. Notes, receipts, letters - stuff I'd find lying around discarded. For me these "snapshots" of people's lives did have value - but in reality, they only had value once I put value onto them.

Merely documenting something doesn't give it value. I could post here my checking account ledger, my daily blood pressure measurements, an install manifest of every software I've downloaded in the last year. For you, much of this information won't have a lot of significance. What difference does it make that yesterday I spent $23 on gas and $17 at the grocery store? It's a documentation of what I did, but it has no value to anyone except me.

So it's not so much that a "snapshot" is a property of the image, but rather a property of how the image is viewed.

A snapshot of your loved ones isn't valuable to me at all.

unpopular said:
A snapshot of your loved ones isn't valuable to me at all.

But yet, when you were in art school you wrote that, "Notes, receipts, letters - stuff I'd find lying around discarded. For me these "snapshots" of people's lives did have value - but in reality, they only had value once I put value onto them."

Weird. But then, that was then. This is NOW! Or at least, I think this is now! Whatever happened to the cliches we's all suppose ta' be hatin' on? lol.

I thought snapshots were now supposed to be called vernacular photography. Right? Cliches I love to hate....hmmm...baby bump with wood blocks on the name... "buck and doe" baby reveal cake photos...photo memes made with the Stay Thirsty, My Friends guy...you know--THIS dude!!!!

meme Photo Cliches by Derrel.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back