Photo Studio Backdrop

okwori12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good day guys! Please can one use cotton fabrics for photo studio backdrop? If yes, what are the disadvantages compared to others like seamless paper
Thanks

Last edited:
Paper you can throw away when done. Or re-purpose it for other uses. With fabric you need to keep it clean, keep wrinkles out. If you can take care of the fabric backdrop in the long run you will save money if you use it frequently. If you go with a muslin backdrop it's best to keep it rolled up on the cross bar (guessing you will not be leaving it up the entire time). When you roll it up, do it slowly and keep it neat while rolling it up. There are different weights of muslin (an the other materials they make backdrops from). Some of the lighter weights are nearly see thru. So be careful on what you order if you chose muslin. Advantage to muslin would be it's tougher, if a kid goes up to poke it, it will not tear like the paper might (should not anyway).

If your just going to be occasionally using a backdrop. Going seamless is probably the best way to go. If the paper is kept clean you can roll it back up for future use. Of course doing so carefully.

Please can one use cotton fabrics for photo studio backdrop

Of course you can. As well as sheets, blankets, canvas, vinyl, foam core.................just about anything you want. I have several pieces of fabric that I use. Sometimes you have to stretch them on a frame if they've been folded to get the wrinkles out.

.. what are the disadvantages compared to others like seamless paper
Soft folds and wrinkles.

If you first press the fabric, and then stretch it over a frame, it will appear much smoother.

Seamless paper is free of wrinkles unlike sheets. You won't see sheets used in a pro studio.

Thanks to all of you. All the replies are great and useful. Thanks so much.

This is just a sample of an African child photo taken in a darkroom with just the normal canon 650d flash. I use a cotton fabrics and i believe if i setup my lighting, the background will be better.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
If you can, put more separation between the subject and the background.

I've met with other photographers that put their subject right in front of the background. When you do that your depth of field, the way you light the subject AND background becomes less forgiving.

Seamless paper is free of wrinkles unlike sheets. You won't see sheets used in a pro studio.

Thank goodness I'm just an amateur then, and not limited in my choices. I can use sheets, painted canvas, wood, rusty corrugated metal, painted vinyl, concrete block, etc., and have fun with my photography. Seriously I have some bland old seamless paper also, but sometimes I like to think outside the box. I think it was in one of Hedgecoe's books where I read "backgrounds should be a contributing aspect of the image". I tend to agree with that more than the sterility of seamless paper.

Thank goodness I'm just an amateur then, and not limited in my choices. I can use sheets, painted canvas, wood, rusty corrugated metal, painted vinyl, concrete block, etc., and have fun with my photography. Seriously I have some bland old seamless paper also, but sometimes I like to think outside the box. I think it was in one of Hedgecoe's books where I read "backgrounds should be a contributing aspect of the image". I tend to agree with that more than the sterility of seamless paper.

I don't disagree. My only problem is with sheets. They make terrible backdrops.

You have a problem with everything, don't lie

I don't use seamless paper. Lost it in a flood and not going to replace it. But seamless is the optimum on creating a nice, no distraction floor to background for the "standard" studio shot.

But if doing business headshots the popup, multicolor backgrounds are good, etc.

Also muslin, blankets, etc may be a pain but as long as you don't get the super thin stuff it's okay as long as there is good distance between the subject and the background, you clip the sheet so that is is flat (though not stretched) on the background supports; make sure there is NOT a window behind it.

The biggest problem with any fabric is when you need length for a full body shot.
You can get long fabrics, but when it's on the floor it's not going to be easy at all trying to keep it flat. Plus when in the FOV you can see it's texture until it goes back to OOF. This is where seamless paper is optimum.

You can be fabric, popup backdrops with a variety of multi-color, single color, images (waterfalls, brick facades, etc), flowering fields nowadays. It all depends upon how you handle the foreground/floor (and you can buy vinyl floors too such as brick, street, etc).

In the case of the OP, and most amateurs out there, buying a roll of seamless at $40-$50 isn't practical for occasional use. If you were in a studio, using it daily or even weekly than yes it might be a better choice for some shots. For about $10 I can buy a sheet at Wally world in several different colors. Spend a few mins. ironing, steaming, stretching and have a usable backdrop. Micro fiber blankets also work well. There is a photographer here in our town, that rented an old building. It caught my eye, because inside he has created a world of make believe sets. From formal sitting rooms, to gardens, to grand stairway to nowhere, to industrial wall, he has it all.

Most reactions

Back