Photograph has extra information?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm thinking the native sony app (shooting with a Sony RX100 VI) corrects the distortion of the lens when it reads the image, but the program i use for raw is Corel Aftershot 3 Pro. Anyways, i was unaware of this happening, it's the first time i've seen it. Does anybody have anything to add as far as techy details? If you look in the corners it looks like bad vignetting, but it's actually the lens at wide angle. Shot at 18mm. Aftershot says it was shot at "9mm". Also, you can see another subject in the lower left of the image. None of this is able to be seen in the second photo out of the sony software.
Image from Corel Aftershot Pro 3 by Christopher Wilson, on Flickr

Image from Sony Edit Software by Christopher Wilson, on Flickr

The Sony version seems to have a distortion correction applied stretching out the image so the coverage is adequate.
Aftershot getting the wrong focal length (applying crop factor the wrong way??) might mean it's using the wrong lens correction, but then I'd expect that version to pull the corners out more which hasn't happened.

The Sony version seems to have a distortion correction applied stretching out the image so the coverage is adequate.
Aftershot getting the wrong focal length (applying crop factor the wrong way??) might mean it's using the wrong lens correction, but then I'd expect that version to pull the corners out more which hasn't happened.
Yes it's very strange. I would think if after shot distorted the image there wouldn't be extra data (subject arm in bottom left) in the image. I understand there ain't software manipulates it to be non distorted but it still doesn't explain why the data is there in the image file and aftershot can grab it lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back