Photographer photographs her own wedding

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the Internet just eats this saccharine stuff up. Some of the photos are nice, but others are very eh. Not to mention her groom doesn't seem too into it. I mean, I've tried taking a photo while feeding a dog before and that was painfully awkward, so I couldn't even imagine how it would be multiplied with another person.

It feels like forced authenticity.

Not to mention they own a photo business, so it gives me kind of a viral marketing vibe. But that might be a bit cynical.

Last edited:
if she was a professional photographer, she should have at least been able to set up some off camera flash.
those shots didn't say "wedding" to me as much as they did "dinner party with friends".
But, as long as the client is happy, right?

"Wedding" for many Europeans (this couple is in Estonia) = "Dinner with friends." It's not the Broadway production American weddings are. Are her pictures better than most wedding photos? Depends on what you're looking for. Define "good" before you can define "better." Honestly, most wedding photos bore me to tears. These are at least fun and they do feel authentic to me, not forced. And I have no idea where anyone would get "hipster" from this, unless "hipster" has become a catch-all phrase for "things I don't like."

"Wedding" for many Europeans (this couple is in Estonia) = "Dinner with friends." It's not the Broadway production American weddings are. Are her pictures better than most wedding photos? Depends on what you're looking for. Define "good" before you can define "better." Honestly, most wedding photos bore me to tears. These are at least fun and they do feel authentic to me, not forced. And I have no idea where anyone would get "hipster" from this, unless "hipster" has become a catch-all phrase for "things I don't like."

Hipster (contemporary subculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i didnt get a "hipster" vibe from the photos.
I just didnt care for them all that much.
not my cup o'tea

Hipster (contemporary subculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i didnt get a "hipster" vibe from the photos.
I just didnt care for them all that much.
not my cup o'tea

(You also didn't make the hipster comment. :) )

It's fine, I get that they feel a lot less formal than most wedding photos we're used to in the States. Just pointing out that weddings in general tend to be less formal for most people in Europe.

there's almost nothing about these that isn't hipster, from the being too cool to have standard photos, to the hipster clothes and hairstyles to the overpriced, retro-styled camera. It's hard to even find many reviews of this camera that doesn't mention hipster in the review or the comments. Of course if you don't like technically good wedding images, or even wedding images with a hint of actual emotion, I guess these would have some appeal.

"better" than most wedding photos.

fixed the title...

my wife refused to drive in my miata, so that one picture made me laugh.

there's almost nothing about these that isn't hipster, from the being too cool to have standard photos, to the hipster clothes and hairstyles to the overpriced, retro-styled camera. It's hard to even find many reviews of this camera that doesn't mention hipster in the review or the comments. Of course if you don't like technically good wedding images, or even wedding images with a hint of actual emotion, I guess these would have some appeal.

The camera is a Fujifilm X-something, which was designed to look more like a Leica. This makes it a hipster camera? And European clothing style is all hipster, too? Technically imperfect pictures automatically are the domain of hipsters? Thinking that standard wedding photos are boring is being a hipster?

Gosh, this "hipster" monster just keeps growing and growing, doesn't it? Either that, or it's just become a lazy way to criticism something or someone without having to actually explain anything. And a bunch of people commenting on an Internet article isn't exactly proof of anything.

imagine if Apple made an mp3 player that was actually a huge 12" vinyl record player...

I don't even know what hipster means. I guess I'm not hip enough. I find them to be appealing, made by someone with an artistic eye. I don't think many of them really stand on their own but collectively they tell an excellent story and would work well together in an album. I wouldn't want them as a replacement for traditional wedding photos, but the story they tell would be a nice addition.

I don't think the quality is that good; for me it's that more than the subject matter. That seems more real life than many wedding photos (and of course there are different styles for that).

I feel like the framing could have been better in some of them. Some have interesting perspectives but some seem like they're trying too hard; I'm not sure what they were trying for or that it worked. I do plastic cameras and Polaroids and the quality is different than what you get with a sharp lens etc. but still, for me there needs to be something more interesting to it. I just found myself noticing how the shots were framed, and the color seems inconsistent, so it made me wonder what they did, if it was an effort to look retro or what. For me it distracts from photos if I'm wondering what they did with/to their pictures.

Most reactions

Back