Photographs no longer provide proof of anything

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
having seen that shot on BBC's website yesterday, I don't think you would need a photoshop expert to notice just how bad the editing was. It was obvious to me it was cloned

We never have been able to rely on photographs as evidence of 'the truth' because they have been manipulated almost since photography began. It's undoubtedly easier to do it now that digital techniques can be used rather than air brushing, retopuching with brush and ink, double exposures etc but to get first class results still requires a high degree of skill, which the manipulator of the rocket photo obviously did not have (or did not apply - could this have been deliberate so that the deception would be easily seen?) since this appears to be a crude copy and paste job.

I don't get why the Iranians were embarassed that 1 missile didn't work. 75% is pretty darned good. Out of every set of miliary stuff - missiles, bombs, grenades, cartridges there will be a certain number of duds. For example, out of a box of 550 .22LR I fired off over a couple of weeks, I had one dud that didn't go off when I fired it. I just dumped it in the trash. It's rare but does happen and I've seen it even with larger rounds. Look at the number of UXBs around the world and you'll realise that it's not uncommon.

Photoshop is a tool of the terrorists! We must make it illegal!

</fearmongering rhetoric>

Like Chris said, photographs have been used to manipulate the truth practically from when it was first invented. Now is no different.

Hhahaha I came into this thread expecting the opposite, a discussion on how do you prove a photo is genuine. No need for further comment here :)

Actually has anyone ever heard of an implementation of the software shown at the last blackhat conference which analyses if pictures have been edited? It used some method of looking at the data quantisation in the JPEG compression, and could determine not only if a picture was edited, but which program was edited and what was changed.
They used it on an example of some picture of a middle eastern leader speaking and it showed things like the books on the bookshelf being digitally inserted but the bookshelf existing beforehand.

Don't believe ANYTHING you hear...
And only HALF-BELIEVE anything you see...
Cos ANYTHING is possible...
Jedo

I went to the iranian military discussion board looking for this particular topic, and there was one. One of the poster replied saying why discussing a photo when the video of the test is available in youtube? It does make sense though. So I went to youtube and search with the phrase Iran missile test, and there are few results.

It seem there were four missile launch at the same time but one seem failed - or late launch. I don't what they are saying but the launch was occured at 1.05. So just let it load and wait 1 1/5 minut, than just jump it to 1 minute starting point.
Anyway, the first link is how the photo was altered (?) and the 2nd is the launch. They look so real to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm serious about the entire event very likely not even being Iranian, or having anything at all to do with Iran.

And I've made much more realistic looking missile launches and trails in LightWave, Houdini, Maya, and XSI... And I know some Iranian boys who are as good or better than I. So whoever did the edit WANTED it to be known that it was a fake.

Sounds just like Uncle Sam to me. Two levels of deceptive disinformation!

And I'm serious about the entire event very likely not even being Iranian, or having anything at all to do with Iran.

And I've made much more realistic looking missile launches and trails in LightWave, Houdini, Maya, and XSI... And I know some Iranian boys who are as good or better than I. So whoever did the edit WANTED it to be known that it was a fake.

Sounds just like Uncle Sam to me. Two levels of deceptive disinformation!

Who is this Sam you speak of?

Oh yeah, it's Canada too.. Almost forgot... :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back