Photographs with better colour

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
If you're not already using Safari as your web browser, you might want to consider it if you want to display and see your photographs at their best.

I noticed the difference with images as soon as i started using it. If you're using a PC you can download a free beta version of Safari for Windows or wait for the release of Firefox 3. IMO It's definately worth it as the difference is quite noticable.

here is an article which explains it (note the example pics on the righthand side)

lol why bother. Yes the problems of the limited sRGB colour space are well known and many solutions have been offered but there's a few reasons this won't make a licking difference.

1) Images on the internet are sRGB for compatibility reasons. Those who don't do this end up in the Beginners Forum asking why do my photos look like a$$ after uploading them to flickr.

2) I have a good monitor, but it can't display the entire sRGB colour space as it is. The end result is that PhotoPro AdobeRGB or whatever other scheme you wish to support can support all the extra colours you may want but it makes no difference. Don't believe me? Take a very colour heavily saturated image (in RAW) from your camera, import into photoshop using PhotoPro (currently the widest gammut I believe) and then convert to sRGB and click the preview button. I don't see a difference.

3) Ok this site breaks that rule, but I would probably think that 90% of the photos on the internet aren't made with very expensive SLRs which actually support something other than the standard sRGB.

4) If your browsing experience actually looks different, as in you see a saturation of colours etc even now, then the browser is messing with photos and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Mind you this all may change when those wide gammut monitors (currently >$3000) come down in price. But currently I can think of a few good reasons not to use Safari windows beta, and just wait till they get the bugs and massive security holes fixed.

i'm using a laptop monitor, i have no idea what gummut it is.

The photos I am talking about are still sRGB, but it is the ones that are saved with ICC profile that appear to have a closer representation to your original image when view with Safari.

I don't know about the technical side too much, but i can see the difference on my monitor

Actually gammut is a kind of ancient rabbit now extinct.

but gamut is a complete extant or range, as in gamut if color or gamut of expression.

Fussy :p

John as far as I know if photos are not saved with ICC profiles they are automatically assumed sRGB. And if an sRGB file appears different in two applications, one of them implemented basic reading of JPEGs incorrectly.

Is your laptop an Apple are you using Safari for windows? It could be if it's an Apple that safari is in some way optimised to the display a bit more.

yes Garbz, i think that's what it is, Safari reads and displays correctly images with ICC profiles, the rest dont.

yes, i'm using a MacBook with both safari and mozilla. I use safari for viewing sites like TPF or DA because i know i can view the images posted with ICC profiles more accurately. That's why i reccommended giving the beta download for windows a try, it will work the same as it does on the Mac, displaying ICC images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back