Photography/art schools - Academy of Art

scottdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, first of all this is my first post here...so hello everyone!

I am a working father and husband who has been going back to school for a couple years now to finally earn my degree. I have always had a love for photography but have been more of a camera enthusiast than a photographer until a couple years ago. I am at the point now where I can think of nothing I would rather do if given the opportunity than be a photographer. And while I know it is a portfolio that eventually stands up on it's own and not the training you receive before you make it I have felt that Art/photography school is the best option for me. The problem is that being a father and husband and taking classes I find it very difficult to balance it all and get out and try to be a better photographer. Put that all together with the importance of receiving a college degree and the lack of art programs in my area and I am limited. Then I discovered the Academy of Art which is a respected Art school in San Fran. They seem to have a pretty extensive online photography program with video lectures, a forum to submit work and see other students work....just to name a couple features. But I guess I am having cold feet due to the cost. It is a University and the cost is in line with other art schools at about $2,000 per class. So I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with The Academy of Art University or any other online photography school and what your impressions were of the program.

I would like nothing more than to be a good photographer (although my wife already thinks I am) but my family is the most important thing to me and I worry about taking on that much debt in student loans for something that might just be a pipe dream.

I appreciate those of you that didn't get bored and actually read my whole post.

I'm going to the Academy and I love it. I haven't taken any online classes though. Most of the benefit you get from photography and any other art classes are open critique of your work from peers and working pro's (real critiques without people holding your hand telling you your work is good when its total crap). Which I'm sure you can still do on the online classes? The technical classes ie photoshop, digital photo and digital printing and what not will be perfect for online.

Thanks for the response. I have been struggling with this because of the money involved. It is nice to hear someone having a good experience.

If anyone has any opinions one way or the other I am interested in hearing them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back