Photography Etiquette

PeterToronto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken from my most recent blog post...

Like most people, I'm not a fan of belligerent, rude, and pushy people. They can be a great source of irritation and dis-ease in our lives. I have met people who are generally mild mannered and polite, but once they have a camera in their hand, they become aggressive and downright vexatious. A camera does not give you the authority to do as you wish, violating all rules and social conventions, even if you are in a "public" place.

If ever the opportunity for a great candid arises, if it's at all possible, ask for permission first. People find it very flattering to know that you take a genuine interest in them. If you simply snap away, the person may, and rightly so, be irritated, angered, and even feel violated. Some say it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but I have always found that a photograph is not worth making if you have a subject that is offended by your presumptuousness. If you hand them a business card or even scrawl your e-mail address on a piece of paper, the recipient will, more often than not, be cordial and more than willing to pose for one or even many images.

A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to visit Kensington Market in Toronto. It was there that I met this busker. I complimented him on his music, handed him my e-mail address, promised him a digital file of the image that I wanted to make of him, and asked if I could proceed to make that photograph. He most graciously allowed me, and for that reason, I have this image and many more like it from that day.

Remember, photography is so much about trust and relationships. It will be easier to get the images that you are looking for, and even some that you wouldn't typically expect, if you ask for permission first. Holding a camera does not give you license, or permission, to be a intruder in other people's lives.

If you'd like to see the photo associated with this post, or would like to read more of my posts, please visit my website.

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Home

Peace
Peter

Some of the images in your gallery seem to violate this 'ask first' policy.

Honestly I do not see the point in asking permission to photograph a street performer. He wants attention anyway, otherwise he wouldn't be on the street playing music.

What a load of rubbish i never ask, if you ask you miss the moment, why should i ask if i can take a photo do they ask me if they can smoke near me, No they don't if i had my way i would shoot all smokers :x:lmao:

I got interested in the name carteblanche.com a while ago, then forgot about it. Somebody has registered it since then.

What a load of rubbish i never ask, if you ask you miss the moment, why should i ask if i can take a photo do they ask me if they can smoke near me, No they don't if i had my way i would shoot all smokers :x:lmao:

Hahahahahahah thank you Gsgary, you have made my day.

I usually will ask for a posed shot, and offer a copy on a disc for them to print if they want one, but some of my best shots have been candid ones and you can't really get those while the person is aware. That's part of street shooting, being sneaky with the lens and getting people unawares. Posed portraits are fine, but if you want to learn to take good portraits of all types you really need to shoot whenever you can.

If someone comes up to me after I take their pic and makes a huge fuss, generally speaking I will just tell them I am a serious photography student and practicing my skills, and offer them my email for a copy. 99% of the time that settles it and they don't have any problem with me having taken the shot. If they are adamant I usually say "Okay, I'll delete it." then walk away.

Most of the time they're not so bold as to follow me to make sure I actually do and I get to keep my shot anyway knowing of course that I can't do anything with it except use it for study. If they want to watch me do it, then I usually will delete it in front of them because if they're that determined they probably have a really good reason they don't want their picture taken and I'll just have to be nice and oblige anyway.

I'm not completely rude, but I will do all I can to keep from having to do that if I think the shot is going to be good. Being as I am someone who doesn't particularly like having my own pic snapped, I do have some sympathy so that does affect how I deal with people.

I've actually only ran into one person who actually asked me to delete something and that's because the guy was an actor apparently and thought that I was some kind of paparazzi photographer. (Hardly likely with with my little Fuji dude. You've got to have a much better set up than mine to take those kind of shots!) Fact is I didn't know him at all and he was just sitting at a table in this cafe during an outdoor scene thing I was trying to do and he got all bent out of shape because he thought I was photographing him for pay. Actually I couldn't have cared less who he was. The shot was excellent, the scene lovely and the light perfect, and I just took it.

It took me like 5 minutes with the guy to figure out what he was raving about and why he was so nuts about being in the shot. In the end I just shook my head, asked him to step out of the scene for a minute or two so I could get it again without him, and deleted the first one. There you go, shot taken, explosive situation diffused.

What really amused me though was his attitude. Like I said I had no idea of who he was so I looked him up later online. He wasn't THAT big of a celebrity just some low end B movie actor mostly. Nobody anyone would even pay you to take candid shots of and yet he was all crazed?

Seems to me someone's ego was bigger than his talent, but whatever....

I usually will ask for a posed shot, and offer a copy on a disc for them to print if they want one, but some of my best shots have been candid ones and you can't really get those while the person is aware. That's part of street shooting, being sneaky with the lens and getting people unawares. Posed portraits are fine, but if you want to learn to take good portraits of all types you really need to shoot whenever you can.

If someone comes up to me after I take their pic and makes a huge fuss, generally speaking I will just tell them I am a serious photography student and practicing my skills, and offer them my email for a copy. 99% of the time that settles it and they don't have any problem with me having taken the shot. If they are adamant I usually say "Okay, I'll delete it." then walk away.

Most of the time they're not so bold as to follow me to make sure I actually do and I get to keep my shot anyway knowing of course that I can't do anything with it except use it for study. If they want to watch me do it, then I usually will delete it in front of them because if they're that determined they probably have a really good reason they don't want their picture taken and I'll just have to be nice and oblige anyway.

I'm not completely rude, but I will do all I can to keep from having to do that if I think the shot is going to be good. Being as I am someone who doesn't particularly like having my own pic snapped, I do have some sympathy so that does affect how I deal with people.

I've actually only ran into one person who actually asked me to delete something and that's because the guy was an actor apparently and thought that I was some kind of paparazzi photographer. (Hardly likely with with my little Fuji dude. You've got to have a much better set up than mine to take those kind of shots!) Fact is I didn't know him at all and he was just sitting at a table in this cafe during an outdoor scene thing I was trying to do and he got all bent out of shape because he thought I was photographing him for pay. Actually I couldn't have cared less who he was. The shot was excellent, the scene lovely and the light perfect, and I just took it.

It took me like 5 minutes with the guy to figure out what he was raving about and why he was so nuts about being in the shot. In the end I just shook my head, asked him to step out of the scene for a minute or two so I could get it again without him, and deleted the first one. There you go, shot taken, explosive situation diffused.

What really amused me though was his attitude. Like I said I had no idea of who he was so I looked him up later online. He wasn't THAT big of a celebrity just some low end B movie actor mostly. Nobody anyone would even pay you to take candid shots of and yet he was all crazed?

Seems to me someone's ego was bigger than his talent, but whatever....

There is no way i would delete it i was told once by a policeman to delete some shots, i think you can guess what i told him :lol:

technically it's not a candid shot if they know you're taking it, but whatever.

I don't know, seemed to me this just rubbed me the wrong way. Rather then cut it down I simply came up with an alternative (albeit on the lighter side) set of rules and guide lines when setting out on a day of street photography.

Not saying you should choose mine over anyone elses but here it is...

The Street photographers rules to photography – ZOMBIELAND STYLE

1. Cardio – To out run those who are frustrated at being photographed.
  2. The Double Tap – Snap two shots just to make sure!
  3. Beware of Bathrooms – That’s invasion of privacy!
  4. Wear Seat Belts – You could crash while photographing objects while driving.
  5. No Attachments – Personal attachment to your subject makes you feel you owe them, you don’t.
  6. The “Skillet” – Images of skillets are nearly always mundane, steer clear of them on the street or otherwise.
  7. Travel Light – It makes rule number 1 easier to follow.
  8. Get a Kick Ass Partner – He/she can carry your gear if you fail on rule number 7.
  9. With your Bare Hands – Tripods cause unwanted attention that does not help you blend in. Neither do White lens.
  10. Don’t Swing Low - low angle camera shots are rarely ascetically pleasing when it comes to human subjects.
  11. Use Your Foot – Actually use both, it’s much easier to run if you’re already standing.
  12. Bounty Paper Towels – May come in handy if you forget rule number 14.
  13. Shake it Off – If you do come in contact with an angry subject just shake it off and keep shooting.
  14. Always carry a change of underwear – You never know how long you might have to wait to get the shot.
  15. Bowling Balls – While quite surprising it is not advised to roll into the crowd in order to achieve candid shots.
  16. Opportunity Knocks – When opportunity knocks don’t ask for permission, just shoot it.
  17. Don’t be a hero (later crossed out to be a hero) – do whatever gets to the money shot man.
  18. Limber Up – you never know where you’ll go or what you’ll go through to get the shot.
  19. Break it Up – Put a little time between multiple subjects, this gives you time to catch your breath after eluding irate subjects.
  20. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint – Pace your self, better just barely get away then to run out of steam trying to .
  21. Avoid Strip Clubs – they have boyfriends and bouncers usually better built then you are.
  22. When in doubt Know your way out – comes in handy for those abandoned building shots.
  23. Zipplocks –Helps to keep all sorts of equipment dry and safe from moisture.
  24. Use your thumbs – if all else fails hitch a ride with someone you have NOT shot to get away from someone you have.
  25. Shoot First – If you must feel the need for permission shoot first ask permission then shoot again. (They may not know about your first shots.)
  26. A little sun screen never hurt anybody – Especially when you are shooting during the wrong part of the day like high noon.
  27. Incoming! – Be aware of what your subject may be holding in their hands it come flying your way!
  28. Double-Knot your Shoes – Tripping while carrying high dollar equipment can really kill the day.
  29. The Buddy System – When using a buddy system always make sure to choose a buddy who runs slower then you do.
  30. Pack your stain stick – It may be used on an item from rule number 14 or on a clear lens filter to get artistic with.
  31. Check the back seat – Especially with rentals as you don’t want to lose equipment when you turn the vehicle back in.
  32. Enjoy the little things – Such as bright lights, loud noises or anything else that may aid in the shot or you getting away with the shot.
  33. Swiss army Knife – Cause it’s cool and MacGyver always carried one.

Enjoy! And again this was meant to lean towards the lighter side because quite frankly I think people in general are just far too uptight when it comes to many many areas of life.

I don't know, seemed to me this just rubbed me the wrong way. Rather then cut it down I simply came up with an alternative (albeit o...... .....eople in general are just far too uptight when it comes to many many areas of life.

+1 :thumbup:

Very humorous and well said.

Loki

That was very humorous and a great way to end my day!!!

I especially liked this one, and may make it part of my check list:

29. The Buddy System – When using a buddy system always make sure to choose a buddy who runs slower then you do :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Oh shoot, I forgot to put in anything about a photos of a twinkie! Zombieland inside joke ;)

hilarious ... I will take these to heart on my trip to new orleans

Most reactions

Back