Photography Mentors - kickstarting the project again

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Overread, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well after someone contacted me and reminded me of its existance I thought it might be an idea to give this project another go - a rekindeling of a project that has somewhat suffered over the last year or so - what with many photographers leaving the site for one reason or another. Here are the details of the previous/current setup

The previous talk about the setup

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/123688-mentoring-system-suggestion.html

The current mentors list

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/125099-official-mentors-bio-list.html#post1258497

So the simple question is, is there any interest in starting this again and giving it more life? I am sure there are many willing to be students but what the project needs more than that is dedicated and skilled photographers willing to be the mentors - willing to dedicate some more time and effort in helping a few others develop their skills?

2. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd be interested in helping out one way or another.

3. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking into being a student.

4. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would offer what I can.

5. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the idea of having a personal mentor. "Pick me! Pick me!" :)

6. I tentatively throw my hat in the ring as a potential mentor. I really enjoy being part of this community, and have learned a lot here. I would like a chance to give back.

Having said that I'm wary, and don't want to waste time - that of someone I might work with, or mine. Overread, I will drill down on what info there is re. the Mentor program. I would ask that anyone I work with has been an active member, and obviously open-minded.

I would volunteer working with someone pursuing photography of people in a controlled environment... that means no landscapes and architecture, but also no "street" photography. I shoot models in studios and on location. There is a lot of technical info and I'm not really a "strobist" but I can help figure all of that out. For me it is more about the creative process, as well as the interaction and the various moving parts. I'm not really a gear head, I'm more into the final image.

...and being fabulous!

7. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Me, too. except I would work with someone who wants to do street photography. I am completely disinterested in studio or family shots.

Lew

8. Groovy, we cover each other.

...and for those who don't know me, when I say I don't want to mentor "street" or landscapes, let me be clear and say that I like them, and have nothing against them... it's just not what I'm shooting right now.

9. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would be interested in being mentored.

10. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perhaps the simplest way for those who want to be mentored is to look at the pictures posted by the willing mentors and approach the potential mentor with a PM.

Lew

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That is how its worked in the past - that or they contacted me and I directed them onto the Bio list.

Great to have two more up for mentoring! Hopefully we can get a few more active mentors onto the list - I've also sent pms around to check that those currently on the list are still active. Some have not appeared on site for some time though those that have left (far as I know) did continue to mentor their students after going quiet on the forums.
    Certainly its also in the students best interests to present a good case for the mentors to accept them.

The Traveler and Iron Flatline if you send me a Bio like hte others on the list I'll add them in as well.

Remember to contain info such as:
    What you shoot
    What you are able/willing to help/advise on
    What you are looking for in a potential student
    Examples and links to your works
    Any formal education/jobs that you have attended/held along with a general background into your photographic life

edit
    Also something I forgot to mention earlier was that an idea of what equipment you have experience of as well is important. This is not about Canon vs Nikon but giving an idea of what you are most familar with and can offer help one. Don't forget to include other things like if its film or digital experience as well as darkroom stuff.

Also the list above is not all the final list - do consult the links in my first post in this thread for a more complete discussion from before as well as examples of the current mentor Bios.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. Cass

Cass TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd be interested in being a student. :)