Photography School/ Degrees

NeoPho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do you go about earning a degree in photography? Is it worth going for it. Ima be moving to the Los Angeles soon. Should I double major? Is there degrees in Photography? I would appreciate the help. Should I major in something else that applies to photography. Since I wanna do Fashion should I major in something in fashion?

Major in business if you want to have a photography business. Experience is more valuable than a piece of paper IMO.

If you want to work for a magazine/newspaper/corporation/government as a photographer you need that degree plus experience there is always exceptions. If you want to run your own photography business I would recommend a degree in business.

Its worth you looking into. I'm attending a 2 year professional certification program offered by my local university (USF/Tampa) even though this is just a hobby for me and i'm not planning on giving up my techie career. The classes are a BLAST!!!

Core Courses
  • Photography Introduction
  • Photography Intermediate
  • Studio Lighting Introduction
  • Business Essentials for Photographers
  • Digital Image Management
  • Studio Lighting Advanced

Since you want to go into commercial photography I suggest a degree in Art/Photography. One tip I do have. Because commercial photography is very competitive intern with a commercial photographer or company right away your freshman year. Don't wait for the last semester "Senior Intern" credits. Even if you don't get college credit, the experience and contacts you make are much more valuable. And you graduate with those 2+ years experience that a lot of entry level jobs require. Also, get to know other students majoring in fashion design and merchandising. These are the people you will be working with in the future. A lot of the time it is who you know, not what you know.

If you want to work for a magazine/newspaper/corporation/government as a photographer you need that degree plus experience there is always exceptions. If you want to run your own photography business I would recommend a degree in business.

Actually, if you want to work for corporation/government/tv station/newspaper etc. you need A degree but not necessarily one in photography. The reason is that you often have to write and/or edit proposals, scripts, public relations information, and present photographic productions to audiences as well as do straight photography. This requires good communication and literacy skills which generally are associated with a traditional degree.

Needless to say, I am speaking from personal experience.

skieur

What ever you do I would make sure to take some studio art classes like design and drawing and even painting. It helps a great deal to learn what good composition is before you start shooting. If I had it to do over again I would definitely take some business and marketing classes.

Most reactions

Back