Photography Virgin

libbyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and completely new to photography. Taking pictures is something I've always enjoyed. I would like to take that enjoyment to a more professional level. Im looking to purchase a camera. Have no clue what kind. My budget is pretty wide open, because I'm looking at this as a business investment. I would like to get into sports photography.

Any suggestions on cameras, lenses, or any other sites I can learn more?
I appreciate the help!

I think your best bet is go out and actually hold the cameras and see how the feel for you. A lot of stores have models out that you can pick up and test. Some are bulkier than others and some are heavier or lighter. It has a lot to do with personal opinion. People who shoot with Canon will suggest Canon, Nikon users will suggest Nikon. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Welcome to the forum.

I second the suggestion by 'khallene'. Actually holding and trying out the different camera brands and models will go a long way to helping you choose what is right for you.

Remember that the lenses are just as or more important than the camera itself, and in many cases, they are more expensive (especially if you want to shoot sports).

My suggestions would be to have a look at the Nikon D700 and the Canon 50D. Maybe the Nikon D300 with grip. Canon's pro level 'sports' camera is the 1D (current model is the mark III). It's a great camera in terms of features, but many people are having AF issues with the mark III, the older 1D mark II might be a good choice though. The Canon 50D is a step down, but still a great camera for sports, especially at it's price point.

For lenses, look for 'fast' lenses (large maximum aperture (low F numbers)). 70-200mm F2.8 for example.

... completely new to photography... Im looking to purchase a camera....My budget is pretty wide open...

Wow, there is a wide selection for you. When going out to get a feel for the different cameras just remember that there are ways that alter the feel of your new camera.

For eample, you can buy a grip which enlarges the camera body that can affect the feel. Don't forget to take these into account when selecting a camera based on feel. Also, remember that if you are into sports photography, chances are that you will probably be purchasing a telephoto lens which is often heavier than the camera body. More reason to buy a grip to get a better hold on your camera. If you are considering a camera with a heavy lens, a good idea would be to buy a handstrap to help you hold the camera more steadily without slipping.

How wide open is wide open? That D700 is $3K. :)

This looks pretty, since you don't really have a budget.

4.jpg

Get a D300 for 1200/1300 used/refurbished, and spend the rest on lenses.

Again, I advocate that you try a search on old threads discussing this. You'll find some really good results that way.

Or, we can just lust and fantasize and all get this:

Canon-1200-2.jpg

...though it might not be good enough for football.

in spite of the hot girl, we need to focus guys, lol all this is very good advice you should go out and feel the cameras, weigh the cameras and play with the cameras, since youre just kind of starting out i suggest getting the most user friendly camera look for the lower numbers like the Nikon D40 thats a perfect starter but if your going for sport shots you need something that can take a lot of photos at once like my Nikon D60 its just as user friendly but has way more megapixles and can take up to 4 shots and its cheap which i say dont pay too much on a camera when you are starting out you can always build on later

Dude, that is a hot girl. Duh. :drool::lol:
Problem is I noticed the lens first. I must be a real photographer then.
To the OP decide what you want to spend and what you will need feature wise to do what you want to do. Then go handle the cameras in that price range as was said.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back