Photography Web Hosting?

MGriff240

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a CHEAP we hosting site that is/can be built for photography. As a high school student, I don't exactly have the money for a completely professional gallery, but a Blog isn't quite as eye-catching as I would like.

Any ideas/links/comments would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

If you just want to host photo to share, there are many free sites. Photobucket, Flickr etc. And of course, you can use social networking sites like Facebook etc.

Do you want to host your own website? If so, there are many cheap options for simple hosting but you'll also need a domain name and the actual website.
I use HostGator.com for my hosting, it's full of great features and the basic package is dirt cheap.

It all depends on how much you know about websites...

The more you know, the less expensive it is. I am a computer programmer by trade, and I host 3 personal websites for a total of $4 a month. Not sure how much cheaper you can get than that.

Most web hosting services provide you with a generic website builder program that will alow you to set up very baisc looking websites. If basic is all you want, you could pretty easily host a website for $4 a month.

If you want to get a little more fancy, there are a multitude of products out there, many of which are free, that you can install on your web servers that will allow you to create websites without having to know any programing. There are CMS (Content Management Systems) that can be installed that give you a GUI that you can use to create webstie, and there are album software packages that will make hosting a professional looking site simple, the installation and File Transfering does have a learning curve howerver. You'll need to know basic database configuration and FTP support to get it to work, but once you have it installed and figured out its a snap. I use Joomla for my CMS, and JAlbum as my gallery software.

After that, the next step is to pay for hosting and configuration of your gallery, and depending on how much flexibilty you want, it can get pricy.

I don't know much, but I've got a basic understanding and could probably learn. Although, that HostGator site looks pretty good. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Although, that HostGator site looks pretty good. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

As an alternative, I use ixwebhosting... I've never used HostGator so I am in no position to say one is better than the other, but I have been more than happy with ixwebhosting.

^^^I'll be sure to check that out as well.

I'm just looking around to find the best one for my money. They're not all the same, so I want some opinions.

Most reactions

Back