photos of wife and lil princess

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by wlsmoku, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wlsmoku

wlsmoku TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ****DISCLAIMER*****

portait newbie alert!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

alright - I def have room for improvement, I'm not really happy with any of them. please give me your C&C

1. (WAY TOO FUZZY!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any tips/suggestions on camera settings for more crisp pictures?

2. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well what was your ISO for these photos?? They look like they might have a lot of noise. Add more light drop your ISO. Also a few of them have motion blur. And if you pull them away from you back drop it will help blur out the back drop and have them in focus. You have a really cute little girl and beautiful wife. I do Love #2 though. Simple but it still shows emotion in her eyes.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow! Okay, first, ISO down. Way, way down! You're shooting formal portraits here. Get your ISO right down - you're using a D80, set it too 200. Shutter speed? Over 1/2 second? Way too long, especially for children. Keep it at 1/125 or higher to eliminate motion blur.

The issue here is simple. You need more light. With the settings you had, you could have almost shot the interior of a coal-mine in the dark. Seriously; you've got some great poses, and the lighting theory isn't bad, but you need a lot more of it. Ideally you want to be able to shoot ISO 200, 1/125-200 sec/ at f8. Additionally, try and avoid shooting portraits in Auto; use full manual.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Several seem OOF, but I really like #3!

5. wlsmoku

wlsmoku TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great tips team - I'll make some adjustments and report back! :hail::hail::hail:

I knew my ISO was WAY high...I just couldn't get it right when I was set at 100 for some reason.

ok so I might as well admit on the lighting...man this is sooo ghetto....but I used a 4 ft florescent shop light with one bulb about 15 ft away. don't have the duckets for a nice setup yet, so I'm working with whats avail. go ahead - point and laugh....:lmao:

6. dab_20

dab_20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely some nice poses and ideas here. But as others have said you need more light!!

Haha you can use anything for lighting. Not everyone can afford professional lighting, so use whatever you can find! It's good to get creative, more props to you!