Photoshop - actions question.

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Maybe im blind, I dont see a photoshop thread and I thought there was one. anywase.

I have an action to do my copyright/resizing/border thing, but the part for the text layer can mess up if it doesnt like images that dont have the normal size.

If im working with a portrait shot, the text layer can be squished together, so instead of being 30 characters wide or something, its only 5 characters wide, but still 30 characters. If I run the action step by step, sometimes it doesnt happen, so its not a constant thing.

Incase it matters, the steps the action does is something like resize to a specific width, then resize down 90% about 8 times or somthing until its around 650 pixels wide. Then it does a canvase size, text layer, guide line, and moves the text layer to center it using the guide line.

I tried to work around this and save the copyright text as a brush pattern, but when I recorded the action, it doesent record the brush step.

So now to work around this, I have the action open a copyright psd, copy the entire selection, then closes that document, and pastes the contents. But I get the rasterized text.

Is ps just flawed or am I doing something wrong?

There's something I'm not seeing. It sounds like you have a specific resize for that layer that's messing it up.

Without seeing an example I'm not sure I'm even in the same ball park.

Maybe you could do a screen cature of the entire action so we could see it from start to finish (open the action panel as large as you can, make sure the entire action is visible, and then do the screen cap). Or you could post the action itself to the web (but only if you're confortable with others messing with your script). Even writing out the action from start to finish would be helpful (if a little labourous. See here for an example of how you might do this).

I'll be able to make a better suggestion with more info.

Talk with you soon.

Sure, might be a few days before Ill get time to do it. Ill also try to get an image to show the messed up text, my luck it wont do it now. :0)

Is there any way to get brush/pensil actions to record in the action? If only it used vb to record it, I could have some fun.

Cool.

Until then, here's an image of my action (which I just created on a whim):

Action Demo

A description of what I did and why:
1) I resize first--make the image the approximate size I want it (in this case 600px across, constrained dimension, 72dpi).
2) I add size to the canvas. You don't have to do this, but I do to ensure I don't clip off important parts near the edge.
3) Select all and then use the "stroke" command 3 times. All strokes are put to the inside of selection. The first matches the added canvas size (in this case, 25px). The second, 20px. And the third, 18px. Effectively creating a white highlight on my border.
4) Make your text layer. You'll notice this is the first actual layer in the action. Set size, colour, position and any other info here.
5) Flatten layer. This may not be needed in your case. I use it because it makes automation easier if I choose to do a bunch at a time.

There is a small problem with the text moving (in my case, its a vertical shift). To account for this, I make the dialog appear (I've circled the thing you have to tick in red). While technically no dialog comes up, the action will hold and allow you to make adjustments to the text until you commit the text (either by clicking the arrow in the text toolbar or by hitting enter on the keypad). If all your images are one orientation (either portrait or landscape, but not both), you can skip this.

Hopefully that puts you on the right track. Let us know whether you get close or not.

PS. The shown image is known as a sundog for those that have never seen one. It occurs when ice particles hang in the air and catch the sun's rays. It also symolizes that the weather is going to get colder (this image was taken a few years ago). The colours seem to have been mottled by jpeg compression, but the general image is still intact.

Most reactions

Back