photoshop Elements

Dryfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I hope someone can help, I would like to know what all the different photoshop versions are. Our store has Photoshop Elements, what is the difference between it and other photoshops. Some are cheap and others are very expensive?
Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated,

I believe Elements is a way stripped down version of CS, for quick editing. I have only used PS/CS so I cant really tell you fully.

Photoshop Elements has basic features of the full version Photoshop, I think the newest version of full photoshop is CS3 and the newest photoshop elements is verion 6. Elements is around $80-100 where Photoshop CS3 is over $300.

I have Photoshop Elements 4 and love it. you can see my style of pictures by clicking my flikr link below.

for starting out photoshop elements will do all and more than you need it to and its affordable. CS3 is much more powerful, but also more complex and to get the best out of it will take a while to get used to - starting out it is rather overkill in price; save the pennies and put them towards camera kit as the more you get right in camera the less you have to edit.
Further it might be an idea to look at photoshop lightroom which is becomming very popular for editing RAW files in batch processes. (elements does not have batch processing, but I think there is a way to trick it to do them).

The one thing elements (6 - the latest) does not have which I consider invaluble and is refrenced in many guides is the layermask - so here is a free download of one if you decide to go for it:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/layermasktool.htm

and a series of very good articles on editing and photography in general:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

like many its based round the full version of photoshop (CS3) but nearly all of it can still be done in elements

Here's a decent article on some of the differences between CS3 and Elements. Article.

Also, note that the price Rachel gave for CS3 is more in line with the upgrade price. CS3 retails for around $600+. Elements is less than $100.

Joves, Rachel, Overread and Mike, thanks you all very much for your comments and links, I have a much better understanding now! Thank you!

Most reactions

Back