Photoshop Infrared Simulation

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am sucker for the infrared stuff, I have never been able to get it quite right in photoshop. I usually use a layer with diffuse glow and tweak it around abit:

I found a great little pdf file which looks like a fantastic way of converting digital to infrared in photoshop:
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/download/Infrared.pdf

If you guys have any other tips or suggestions for infrared, why not post it here :D

Dang I just realised i was in the wrong forum! lol, thanks voo!

Here's quick example to get what infrared does with colours:

infrared2.jpg

infrared.jpg

Notice the changes of the red and green colours when an infrared filter is applied.

That's basically the technique that I've been using, and I also find it neat to add a bit of a color hue to the image afterwards, depending on the photo. It works better on some than others. Here's an example.

winterscape_small.jpg

wow, thats wicked matt! when you add the colour, is it hue/saturation or colour balance or something else? Was this shot with a wide angle lens?

After you do the infared techniques, your image is B&W, so color balancing will have no effect, other than changing the luminosity slightly. You have to use hue/saturation, and click colorize, then what you do from there is up to you :) That was shot with an 18-55mm lens on a Digital Rebel, so it was effectively a 28-88mm lens. That photo also suffers from barrel distortion, but I actually like barrel distortion in a lot of situations :p Sort of faux fisheye :p

Most reactions

Back