Photoshop? Lightroom?

MPSax1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have photoshop, I don't have lightroom.

Could someone please explain:

1. If you have photoshop, is it worth getting lightroom?
2. What are lightrooms advantages?
3. What are photoshops advantages?

Anything else in helping me decide whether to spring the money ($300) on Lightroom or keep CS4 would be nice.

Get both. Lightroom is a workflow tool. For its organizational, cataloging, keywording, searching, rating, flagging, creating collections, etc..., it is essential. It is the most useful tool that I've ever used. I can also do about 80% of the post-processing that I need to do right there: color temperature, contrast, cropping, rotating, spot healing, color correction, sharpening, etc... I bounce out into Photoshop for when I need to do anything more extensive than that.

If you can only get one, I'd get Lightroom. For the organizational side of things alone, it's the most valuable tool that I have. Plus as I said, it handles the majority of the post-processing that I need to do.

ARGH. The thing is that I'm 15 years old and do photo work as a hobby. Do you really feel photoshop won't be good enough? Argh....I'm probably looking for a justification that accentuates that photoshop is of equal or greater purpose but I've been told that Lightroom does almost all necessary editing work of Photoshop but acts as a workhorse in comparison to speed

Completly agree with Pugs, get both if you can, otherwise get Lightroom :cheers:

where the tutorial on how to use Lightroom?

if your only doing photography casually and dont really have to deal with big workloads, then its probably not worth your money if you already have photoshop. lightroom is made specifically for photography, it makes it easier for all your basic post processing - i.e cropping, rotating, adjusting contrast, tint, saturation etc. you can do all these things in photoshop, its just lightroom makes it a much easier and faster process. its pretty much iPhoto on steroids.
you can always head over to Adobe and get the 30 day free trial of it, see if its for you. its definitely a useful tool to have, but not a necessity.

If you are a student (which I hope you still are) you can get Lightroom for $99 from places like journeyed.com.

Of course the really cheap way out is to purchase Paintshop Pro Ultimate X 2 at around $50 or less. It is very photoshop-like in all its features and has Express Lab built-in, which works like Lightroom. The plug-ins that many buy separately for Photoshop such as software filters, etc. also work with Paintshop Pro X 2.

skieur

If you process tons of images get Lightroom if not Photoshop Elements is all you need.

Personally, I use lightroom much more than Photoshop, primarily because of it's ease of use and the fact that it's better for workflow. It also has (once you get used to it) a useful system for organization of photos.

Photoshop does have more abilities though in actual image manipulation.

My personal suggestion? get the lightroom Beta, and see if you need anything else.

Guys, he already has Photoshop...

Since you are 15 just stick with that, worry about Lightroom later in life - or download the Beta as mentioned and play with it for a few months to see if you just can't live without it.

There's really nothing you couldn't already do for no extra cost, and being 15 years old I'd place a bet that you have more time than money.

GET THEM ALL!!!!!

:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

Lightroom is hardly essential. Bridge and Camera Raw were sufficing before Adobe decided to put the two into a seperate product. Does LR do it better - of course it does, that's what it is designed to do. However if you only have Photoshop (and by default Bridge/Camera Raw) you still have a pretty nice workflow setup that won't have you ripping your hair out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back