Photoshop question......

PaigeDanielle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone.

i like to edit photos.

i have adobe photoshop CS3 and i was wondering how everyone does that thing where you can make everything else in a picture sepia or black and white and have just one object be colored. (ex. a picture of a rose, done in sepia, and then the petals being red.)

if anyone has tips or instructions i'd appreciate it!

Many different ways, all of them require a good amount of work if you want it perfect.

Here's how I do it:

1) Open up the picture you want to do selective coloring on.
2) In the bottom right of your screen there should be a little circle that's half black and half white. (adjustment layer button)
3) Click on hue/ saturation and put the saturation on -100.
4) Now you should have two layers, your original and your new black and white image.
5) Select the brush tool and pick the color black.
6) Use the brush over the areas you want to be colored, you should start to see color appear in those areas.
7) If you make a mistake, switch the color to white to erase.

I hope you understand, I recommend zooming in on the image a lot to make the selective coloring neater.

I've just learned how to do this myself, and its really not that difficult. Its basically done using layers.
-Select the object you want to keep in color and use the lasso tool to outline it.
-Use Ctrl-C to copy the selected portion.
-Add a new layer and use Ctrl-V to paste the selected image to the new layer.
-Repeat the last 2 steps for each object you want colored.
-You will now have several layers as well as the original image which should still be named "background"
-Make sure the background layer is selected and apply the sepia or b/w conversion to that layer. The remaining layers will stay color and you will have the image you are wanting.

Below is a recent image I made for a friends wedding.

ReaganandTaylorsWedding078-SelColUp.jpg

Here's a good tutorial:
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/4789/digital-toolbox-back-to-basics.html

Thanks guys I have been wondering about that.

fil

If it's a simple object, you can also just select it using any of the tracing tools. Then choose "invert selection" at which point you have everything except your object selected. Then go to "adjustments" and convert to b&w.

Most reactions

Back