Photoshop read only CD/DVD?

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
maybe some one here can answer this question. Is there a way to make a disc of photos either CD or DVD that can only be viewed not printed or inported on to the PC. I would like to give "proof" cd's to clients but don't want them printing their own photos.

Also If I have all the metadata filled out and saved to a disc would the metadata be seen and inforced by one hour photo labs?

I hope all this makes sense.

sorry I should have mentioned I am useing Photoshop CS2

The only way I know is to overprint 'example' or some such right across the image.
Whatever you do, other than spoiling the print, there are methods to strip the images out of the disk.
The only other option is to save the images as very low quality so that you can see what they are but they print crap.

This thread might do better in the General Q&A. I'll leave it here for a bit to see what responses it gets and then move it in a day or so.

Thanks HVR, I was not sure where to put it.

I found a program that dose DVD or VCD's slide shows called "PRO SHOW GOLD" you can add music tracks and transitions. It also says you can't print or copy the photos to the hard drive. I guess it converts the photo's to video files? Any body use this program or have any opions on it?

I use Flip Album. Check out www.flipalbum.com and www.flipforum.com.

I use it for proofing and for wedding albums. You can create on a CD. The application is on the disc so the customer does not need additional software to view. Some of the security features, that are selectable, are print-vs-no print, you can also create a disc to cease to function on a particular date or after X number of plays.

The forum is decent as well. Lots of people to help if you need it.

You can make a flash presentation or use some other presentation software instead of just having the files on the disc. In that way the client could view your work without the ability to save it.

Another way might be to write a webpage in ASP or .NET that decoded a hashed binary file from a database such as access. Then on your CD you would have the page, viewable in any browser, and the DB. If they opened the database looking for your files, even if they pulled the binary fields they would still be hashed and unreadable.

I work in a one hour lab, and no, we don't see the data saved with the photo (IE - copyright). I think the best thing to do would be put something like what Hertz said. Put "example" or "copyright" something like that across each photo...

That way they can still see the photo, but cannot print it.

Anything a computer can display can be captured. There are some great bits of free software out there that will do this automatically for you, so as Hertz rightly says, defacement is the best option. Many wedding photographers in the UK use a diagonal or vertical white line through the image to prevent people stealing it, although this is actually much easier to get rid of than a semi-transparant water mark.

Rob

I know how to make the Copy right water mark on photos in PS CS2 but is there away to make a layer into an "Action" so I can do several hundread photos. One at a time would take to long. Is there a way to make one big water mark over the whole contact sheet?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back