Picture composition question.... Beginner

jdmartin8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We have had a VERY heavy ice storm here the last two days, and there are some beautiful shots to be had.

There is a particularly interesting view that I want to try and capture, but I am not sure how to compose it. Out here in a very rural area, there is an old train track that runs between two small wooded areas. Right now with the trees so heavy with ice, the branches are drooped over the track, in such a way that it creates a 'tunnel'. With the ice on the limbs, I think the picture would be striking. I'm just not sure how to compose it.

Would I center the tracks? Offcenter shot?

How would you do it?

Sorry, but I'm a rookie at this and always have questions.....

Thanks

Jim

There is no right or wrong when talking composition. There are some basic rules but rules were meant to be broken.

The solution is to try different things. Shoot lots & lots of photos. Film is cheap and digital shots are free.

One suggestion would be to get between the tracks and get low. Take the shot so that the tracks lead the viewer into the frame...through or into the ice tunnel. :disclaimer: watch out for trains :shock:

Some things to keep in mind...
When shooting with lots of snow in the frame, you camera's meter will try to under expose the shot, so you have to add exposure.

Use aperture priority and set a small aperture (high number like F16 or F22). This will ensure that all or most of the picture is in focus.

If it's really cold when you are out shooting, put your camera into a plastic bag before you bring it inside and/or let it warm up slowly so that you don't create any condensation inside the camera.
If it's cold bring extra batteries and keep them warm.

Good luck.

THe most basic rule of composition is the rule of thirds, basically if the whole picture equals 1 and the center is 1/2 try and put the most interesting stuff on the 1/3 or 2/3 mark. As with all other "rules" its meant to be broken so shoot that way then shoot other ways and decide which you like best.

If the shot is close to what i'm imagining this is probably a shot that would look good breaking the rules of thirds. Its most likely relativley symmetrical which leads a good composition with a center axis in the middle of the frame (might be a good idea to put the bottom of the branches along the upper third line if possible.

I'm a newbie as well, but I would probably take a few. One with everything symmetrical (I think finding symmetry in nature is beautiful in its own right) but would really like to see a shot looking slightly upward - camera near the tracks looking slightly upward or straight out. The converging perspective offered by tracks and roads is cool to exploit, I think. Perhaps even a slanted or crooked viewpoint would be interesting. Are you planning on color or B&W? How about both? :) I hope we get to see the results!

Maybe It's just me but when I find such an opportunity I snap away. Try a little at this angle, try a little at that angle. Sometimes (in my experiences) what you are looking at doesn't always translate to the photo. So taking many shots ensures you will get one. And this is why I need a digital!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back