Pictures of my nieces...what do you think?

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is Emily.

3199785148_6068dcfe70.jpg

3198938987_f2a3c0e1c5.jpg

And this is Calista

3199785080_62bbefb927.jpg

Critiques?

Wonderful pictures! You have great lighting and coloring, and focus!
And they are very adorable!!

welcome to the forums, b.

interesting photos. and i do mean that with a positive connotation.

im not sure what feeling you were going for with these, but i can only offer the feeling i get. please keep in mind i dont mean it in a negative way, but the feeling i get is spooky. these aren't your typical cutesy baby shots.
the colors are rather 'dead' for lack of a better word. it gives off a feeling of coldness.

if this is what you were going for...spot on. if not, perhaps someone will chime in and offer other advice.

the short end of it, is that i like the photos, but i like them because they deviate from the normal droves of kids pics i see.

I am not sure if it was intentional, but DOF is very short and the WB is off IMHO.

these are sure spooky pics, if thats what you want, then cool

I have a few comments, in no particular order...

- The blurring/shallow DOF is bothering me. If the eyes were super sharp, it would not bother me, because it would appear intentional and stylish, but because they are not, it does. And it does give them a ghostly aura.

- The eyes. This is my biggest issue - babies' eyes need to be clear and sharp. Your first is the best at that. A little editing could help the others, to some degree, but it won't remedy the situation entirely.

- The color. I'm fine with the pale color, but I prefer it on livelier babies. On sleepy or still-looking babies, I do think a little more color is nice. I don't think they look spooky, per se, but if other people do (and they obviously do) then it's something to consider. I realize that they have very fair skin and my second child had that same almost translucent skin - there's only so much you can do with it, colorwise, since upping the saturation often doesn't help. I resorted to a lot of B&W when I wasn't pleased with his skin tone. I do think it would be less of an issue with sharper shots which would bring down the ghostly factor by several notches.

- The cropping. I think the first could do with a slightly tighter crop. The last one is great. The middle crop isn't really working for me.

I think they are sweet photos and I'm sure their parents will love them, but those are just some things to consider for next time.

I think the reason the color is off is because they were shot in the Adobe RGB 1998 color space which has a wider gamut of colors than the internet's sRGB. They look great in photoshop and are saturated and warm, but for some reason they don't show up that well on the web.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back