Pictures showing up all black/blank

Jeffowashere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, this is my first post in a long time, just recently started getting back into things and picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T5 kit, comes with an EF-S 18-55 lens.

Anyhow, great little camera to learn the basics but i've already run into my first problem and I haven't even started getting to know the camera yet. I just recently took a few pictures on auto mode of the sunset just for the sake of taking a few pictures and to upload them on my laptop to make sure everything is working okay and check out the general quality of the camera/lens.

The problem is only about 4 out of 20 of the pictures are showing up when I plug the SD card into my laptop, they all appear on the camera perfectly but almost all of them are black on the laptop, this includes the thumbnail and the photo itself when I try to open it. Occasionally i'll click a black thumbnail and the picture will appear briefly but then disappear and turn completely black again.

I'm sure this is a simple mistake, maybe something is set wrong on my camera or laptop, should there be something I should keep an eye open for that is common to cause this? This is very troublesome as I don't want to jump into learning the cameras features and shoot pictures until I resolve this, as it's very important lol.

Thanks in advanced for any information regarding this issue! :)

Are you opening them from just the sd card, or are you copying to your hard drive first? What software are you using to open your files?

Hey Jaca, I was originally just opening them from the SD card folder but I just tried copying them into a folder on my laptop, and the same problem happens, only this time photos that weren't showing up before are, and others are still black, very random.

I tried right clicking a black thumbnail, and opening it with Photoshop and the photo appears fine in photoshop, but it's a big pain not being able to view the thumbnails. The automatically open with Windows photo viewer, which should work as i've never had problems with this before on different cameras. Some photos load up in it, and some don't, very dumbfounded lol

2wcf8nn.png

Here is a screenshot of what is happening, as you can see some thumbnails are just completely black, but they are actual pictures. When i open the folder they may appear for a second, but then turn black. I also formatted the card when it was in the camera prior to taking these pictures.

Thanks woodsman, I also ran into this while looking it up. I'm sure if I threw the card in my other PC they would show up just fine.
I appreciate all the help, thanks again! :)

RAW or JPG? Your system may not be able to read the RAW files correctly sometimes. Most can't, without some extra driver. I know I have an NEF driver on my Windows system so I can preview RAW files in Windows Explorer and see them in Photo Viewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back