Pilot 6 by KW

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Dany, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Dany

Dany No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The website you refer to is a fandom.
    The text describing the Pilot 6 is quite ambiguous . It starts clearly stating that the camera is a 6x6 format, followed by a sentence clearly indicating that two versions were released (6x6 and 4.5x6) and terminated by a note [1] indicating that 4.5x6 may be a mistake !
    I never rely on fandoms to gather information for a camera from my collection. I prefer to collect true evidences like photos supported by source documents as manufacturer's catalog pages and advertisements of the time.
    A 4.5x6 version of the pilot 6 may have existed but for the time being I could not find a clear evidence of its existence

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/page_standard_eng.php?id_appareil=20563

• Like Like x 1
  2. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

The "clear evidence" is in your original post! The advertisement you posted for the Pilot 6 says:

"Pilot makes sixteen pictures, size 1-5/8 X 2-1/4 inches on standard economical 120 roll-film."

[​IMG]
    Sixteen exposures on 120 film sized at 1-5/8 X 2-1/4 inches = 6x4.5 format.

3. Dany

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Many thanks Compur. Despite not being familiar with inches, I noticed this point on the ad.
    I saw, in the past, many erroneous technical specifications in advertisements or catalogs and even, some ads announcing in advance new models which, for some commercial reason, were finally never released on the market.
    As a consequence, an advertisement alone cannot be considered as a clear evidence but only as a support for searches.
    I discussed this matter with Jim Mc Keown last year at the Bievres fair and he advised me to never believe information from websites and to be suspicious with advertisements.
    A photo showing à Pilot 6 with the two red windows on the back would clear the doubt.
    As soon as I find one, I will search to buy a copy of this variation :1219:

• Like Like x 1
  4. compur

Look at this video. At around 9:00 a Pilot 6 camera is turned around to reveal ...
    ... 2 red windows on the back!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a great camera. I have a KW, no other name, just KW. It's a square tin box covered in leatherette. Still has a usable level, the fluid is still liquid and hasn't hardened or leaked. It opens on the top (or side depending on which way you hold it). This one is really cool.

I've used Sylvain's site even though much of it comes up in French (and my high school French only gets me so far) but the pictures show a lot of info.

I didn't know McKeown was still around.

6. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, the Reflex in that ad on Sylvain's site is the one I have! I'll have to do more looking on his site.

In one of the ads from 1937 there's a Robot that looks just like the Reflex, says it's a 'reflecting camera', with all the advantages of a reflecting camera and a miniature. Guess that means it has a mirror? And there's a free trial! great! lol gee I guess that offer is no longer in effect, too bad!

7. Dany

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To Compur:
    Fantastic!
    This is the indubitable evidence that I was trying to find .
    Thank you very much for the time spent and for your patience with the incorrigible skeptic I am.
    This thread is very cool.

To Vntagesnaps:
    I am glad you may find some information about your KW camera on the Sylvain Halgand's site
    This site is really awesome. It describes in details thousands of vintage cameras + accesories etc...
    Hundreds of new cameras are added each year through a participative system.
    A great work has already been done to translate the pages into English, but this is a tremendous work.
    For the time being most of the pages discribing cameras from manufacturers with names from A to M are translated (Work based on volunteering).
    For the rest, the proportion of translated pages is smaller.
    There is, on this site, a very efficient search engine that allows you to identify a camera in finding the pages of catalogs related to a given camera .
    Cherry on the cake, the site has a very active forum with a section dedicated to people not speaking French. Do not hesitate to participate
    Welcome to Vintage cameras collection by Sylvain Halgand
    Some news also about the Famous Mc Keowns guide:
    I may say that the thirteen's edition to come of this guide shall be fantastic.
    Based on a huge work during years, the volume of information and the number of cameras described in this new edition shall be incredibly increased.
    The full content of this edition shall be available on line on the web to subscribing people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. compur

You're welcome :)

9. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    KW were quite an innovative company but with their change in ownership to Charles Noble in 1938 they moved largely to producing 35mm cameras.

I wouldn't call them variants as they are quite different models, and the Pilot Super is a significant improvement,. Nice find you don't see many these days.

Ian

10. Dany

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are perfectly right Ian.
    I should not say "variations" or "variants" but "others models from KW".
    This comes from the chaos in my head when I try to speak and write in English instead of French

11. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your English is far better than my French :D

If I was deliberately collecting cameras I think I'd choose KW as one brand to major on, I only have 3 two 9x12 Patent Etui's and an FX.

I seem to have gone for Houghton's, I own 2 or 3 Victo wood & brass cameras a Duchess, various Esignsn reflex through to post WWII Ensign Elfix 820, and enlarger, 3 safelights - one candle powered :D I have everything for a 1904-1920 set up including a darkroom.

Ian

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. Dany

Photos NOT OK to edit

Waoooh!
    KW was inovative indeed.
    I have some KW cameras in my collection.
    Kamera Werstätten Patent Etui Luxus

I have only two Ensign cameras (because they are quite rare in France (and I do not buy on eBay). I shall show them in a future thread

• Like Like x 1