Planning business shoot.. need suggestions.

USAF-SSgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The end of this week, I will be about 100 shots for a local auto garage. These photos will be used for advertising and insurance purposes. Advertising in a small paper will be the primary reason.

What ideas do you have for an eye-catching impact that can make the ad standout without over doing it? They do have 2 shiney flatbed wreakers, so I will probably place them aimed at each other infront of the closed garage bay doors.

Looking at my equipment, what lens do you feel would be best? I don't have a tripod but do have a mono-pod. I might pick up a cheapo tripod for this shoot.

Thanks for your suggestions

the two wreckers facing each other doesnt sound like a bad idea. just make sure they're clean. :)

the 18-55mm would probably be your best best in order to capture the entire scene. the 55-250mm would work, but you'd have to be further away which may not always be possible.

by the way - i wouldnt get a cheap tripod. its better to spend the money once on a good one rather than spending money twice for the same piece of equipment.

If you are doing outside shots of the place of business, then wider would work better. So thats the 18-55. If you can shooting during the day, then you dont really need a tripod or monopod for the shot. If you are shooting at night (which might be really fun depending on other lights sources around the garage), then a tripod is a must.

Make sure you show the business name, nice and clear.

Check the background to make sure you are shooting just the business and not something else in back.

Check the foreground to ensure there isn't any trash or weird markings on the ground that can be distracting.

Using any models for the shot? A happy family with the kids waiting for their car, all smiley, shaking hands with the mechanic? The owner standing in front with the business in back, smile on his face?

Close ups of tools might be interesting. A wrench on a work table, using some DOF.

Advertising in a small paper? I'd assume there is a chance for the ad to be black and white, so keep that in mind when doing the shots. Printing is not always the strong point of local papers, they can easily add too much black in. So if you have lots of black and contrast, might look more blobby.

Getting that flash off camera would be good too. Either with a transmitter or with a wire attached to the hotshoe. Gives a bit more flexibility in how you direct the light.

Get the client's input as to what they are looking for. Make sure to shoot for that AND shoot other stuff that you find fits and would work well.

Thank you both very much. I really appreciate it. This is my first "important" shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back