Played around with settings

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am posting these pics for C&C on the settings themselves... I know the composition in them is horrible, these are unedited (I am getting ready to order an editing software, any suggestions? I am leaning towards photoshop E8) since I am currently using GIMP and am completely lost with it! (I haven't been to youtube yet, but will be heading there to edit a couple of these that I think turned out good with the settings how they were) :)

So, don't comment on composition only, I really want to be able to figure out if I am getting the hang of setting the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and manual focus correctly :)

Oh, and just in case someone can't tell, these are pics of a couple of my dad's guitars... I took them for the guitar assignment in another forum just for fun to see if I could compare to some of what I've seen in there... I don't feel like I succeeded :(
1) A: f/4, S: 1/2, ISO: 200, 28mm
002-3.jpg

2) A: f/4, S: 1/2, ISO: 200, 28mm
003-1.jpg

3) A: f/4, S: 2, ISO: 200, 28mm
010-3.jpg

Next pic is the fire in our pellet stove... I couldn't seem to get the right settings... I did have the zoom up (should I not have?), had the camera on shutter priority since I knew it needed a fast shutter speed... But I couldn't get them to come out light enough for you to really see anything but the flame :(

4) A: f/5.6, S: 1/2500, ISO: 1600, 49mm
018-2.jpg

All pics were shot with a Canon XS in manual mode

#1, 3 and 4 all look soft, focus wise. #3 seems to have been too close to the camera, you should have backed up a tad. #1 seems to be focused on, well, nothing really, and the point where it should be sharp may be better if you focused on the knobs or just stopped it down. The background is also very distracting on all 3 guitar shots.

The background is also very distracting on all 3 guitar shots.

I've gotta get into the editing thing... I just don't have the desire to do it with gimp :/ once I get my photoshop I'll be an editing fool... I have some experience with an older version of it so it shouldn't be too hard to pick back up ;)

TBH you don't get THAT much more going from GIMP or Paint.NET to photoshop. They all have a clone stamp tool, they all have a levels tool, they all have hue/saturation etc. unless you're doing some serious cloning/healing or super heavy PP with layer effects, you shouldn't be missing too much.

TBH you don't get THAT much more going from GIMP or Paint.NET to photoshop. They all have a clone stamp tool, they all have a levels tool, they all have hue/saturation etc. unless you're doing some serious cloning/healing or super heavy PP with layer effects, you shouldn't be missing too much.

I think it's just that I am used to photoshop and not gimp... I'm trying to figure out where everything is and exactly what everything does, but for some reason I just can't get the hang of it :( i r an idiot... lol

Is this any better? All I did was crop it, but that background junk isn't there...

Guitarcropped.jpg

This is a crop of the 2nd pic from the original post..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back