Playing around as I learn...

mlrohr4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
FathersDay2008106Edited.jpg

I am really just getting started in photography. I have always had a little point and shoot camera but just really started wanting to learn how to make my shots better by understanding the more technical stuff. My husband gave me his Lumix DMC-FZ7 until we can afford to buy something more (and make sure I'm not going through a phase...as I am slightly ADD...). Check out the photos and see what advice you have. I know I need to work on my white balance (some of these have been photoshoped to adjust the white balance) and ISO.

FathersDay2008091.jpg

Obvious first post...gotta make the pictures smaller :D

The photobucket watermark over the entire lower right side is a bit distraction, and the text "this image or video. . ." probaly shouldn't be centered right over the middle - but as far as snow scenes go, this is a pretty damn good shot.

Also, the blue frame is a tasteful choice.

But seriously... we can't see the image, you will need to re-link to them.

I am learning photoshop...and was playing with how to make watermarks. The strange thing is...the watermark doesn't show up when I originally posted it. Stange...

Actually, that was all just playful snark - the first post has two photobucket "no image showing" errors.
In the above post, the first one looks like it was way sharpened on a high iso'd photo? Cool comp though.
Bottom one, dog out of focus? Looks like camera zeroed in on the bricks to the right.

The camera I am working with is not the best...and I at the time I had no clue you could change the white/balance or ISO on the settings. I am doing a mock photoshoot with my sister this weekend and hopefully those things will be much better now that I know how to do that :)

What camera are you using?

a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7

Hmm - from reviews looks like high noise is the problem with this camera. This the only camera available to you?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "high noise?"

Noise is a consequence of using a higher "ISO" setting on your camera. It is in ANY picture you take, but is imperceptible depending on the ISO level and of course the camera you use. ISO controls how sensitive "film" is to light, so a higher-ISO setting will allow you to be more flexbile as far as using "Shutter speed" (how long your camera remains open to receive light) and "Aperture" (how open your lens is, and thus how much light is coming in) since you don't need as much light coming in and for as long. For example, say you were using a Shutter speed (how long light is coming in) of 1/10 and an Aperture (lens opening, how much light comes in) of 5.6 - you might get a blurry photo. But if you bump up the iso, you can then use a faster shutter speed (1/50 maybe) to achieve the correct exposure!

The problem is, that the Panasonic it looks like performs pretty poorly at ISO's of 200 and above (which for most dSLRs is the base ISO setting). Thusly even photos taking at default settings might have quite a bit of noise in them. Usually its not so bad, but if you are opening these photos in Photoshop and working on them (or even in another editing program) then you will accentuate the noise thats already present.

Very good to know!! Thanks! My husband has a dSLR...but I have never touched it and sometimes all the settings seem overwhelming. Maybe I can play around with it tomorrow while I am out with my sister and get better results! Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back