Playing Around

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read that Photomatix will make a "Tone Mapping" version of a single RAW file. I guess a cheating way to make a HDR. I decided to give it a shot, just for fun. It turned out better than I was expecting. Not the best shot in the world, but I got an idea of how the Tone Mapping works.

IMGP0087.jpg

Hmmm. I can definitely see the halo effect that comes from tone mapping, but all the colours seem very washed out to me - it might be my (uncalibrated) monitor though...

No, Harmony: not the monitor. The colours are pretty washed out.
When you have a RAW file, you should save it (TIFF, 16bitmode, no exif data!) in at least three different exposure versions, then have Photomatix create a HDR file for you out of those three LDR pics, and THEN do the tonemapping.
Often enough, after all that's been done, further work in Photoshop is necessary...

Thanks for the c&c and tips. I know that the picture was not great to start with, but wanted to see what would happen when I tried it out, and it did make an improvement from the original. Just for fun I may try out LaFoto's suggestion, just to see what difference I can get, but the original was overexposed to start with.

If it was overexposed, you could still save a -3 exposure out of the RAW converter, a -2 one, a -1 exposure ... and see what you can do with those three?

Played around a bit more, and tried LaFoto's advice. I also cropped lightly different. Funny thing is that I think it even looks sharper, but I didn't do any sharpening.

Final_test.jpg

the colors look a lot better, but i liked the amount of sky you had.

Most reactions

Back